"Murphy Brown" revival 2018

• Members

Haven't watched yet but finding out it ran 5 min longer means my DVR cut the ending off...grrrr....why do shows do this? As I expected MB only got in the high 4's in HH ratings.....CBS should've given them the timeslot after TTBT until after football season was over and then switched it to the 8:30pm timeslot.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I recently watched an episode of As The World Turns from the 1980s and saw that Barnet Kellman directed some episodes.  I did a search and noticed that Kellman directed episodes of Murphy Brown between 1988-1998.

I wonder whether Kellman is retired at this point? Or is there any possibility of him directing a future episode of MB?

• Members

Enjoyed it. Not great, but enjoyed it.

Grant Shaud and Joe Regalbuto were the best - they slid right back into their characters, especially Shaud. 

I think Faith Ford was trying to get back into the groove as Corky and I anticipate she's going to find the character soon. 

Tyne Daly is a natural actress, I'd have thought she was in the original if I didn't know better.

Unfortunately, there is something about Candice Bergen's performance in this first episode that didn't feel like Murphy Brown. It felt like she was playing herself a bit. She was less brittle, less vulnerable, except when she had scenes with grown up Avery - that seemed more reminiscent of the original series. 

I sort of think the premise of Murphy going back to TV rang false. I feel like the original Murphy never would have retired. I think it would have been more interesting to see Murphy demoted on FYI, akin to so many newswomen before her...

Edited by DaytimeFan

• Members

I enjoyed the first episode and will continue to watch. I loved Hillary's extended cameo, and I think her relationship with Avery was one of the most surprising and my favorite parts of the new series. And, although brief, I agree that it seems as if Tyne Daly had been there all along. 

• Members

I'd love to see Murphy wrestle with having a gay son -- although I worry about that playing into certain stereotypes about gay men growing up in fatherless or female-dominated households -- and having one who dates a LCR.

Did anyone else watch last night's episode?  I have to admit that it felt lacking to me.  Some really fantastic one-liners, though, and it actually made me pause and consider (or re-consider) the role of the press in this jacked-up administration.

• Members

Jake McDorman

Please register in order to view this content

all I do is stare at him.

Miles and Corky's relationship is being ignored. So, who knows? I imagine they divorced and I really don't even care if they mention their relationship or not, lol. I'm fine with not acknowledging it.

They've yet to even mention a love life for Avery, so who knows? It makes a lot of sense for me but do we want it because it makes sense or because McDorman is hot? My radar went up with the Dreamer Phyllis hired too. Guess we'll see. And then there's Pat. If at least one of them isn't gay I'd be gobsmacked.

I'm actually glad Avery is being developed as a person first and we get to see beats played out in his relationship with Murphy. Adds depth. But I agree with you. Should they? I really don't know. If it's just who he is and not "OMG MURPHY'S GAY SON!!!!!!" .... it'd be nice if being gay was just a part of the character and not the bane of his existence.

I know what you're saying about it "lacking" but I liked it enough. Lots of funny lines. I enjoyed Murphy/Avery the most. It was nice seeing more of Phyllis when she hired Miguel. But I agree, it felt lacking a little even if I liked the episode.

Edited by KMan101