Sign in to follow this  
dragonflies

"Murphy Brown" revival 2018

Seeing the trailers for Candice Bergin's "Book Club" movie, some of those situations her character gets into is exactly what I want to see from Murphy in terms of social media, webcams, snapchat, etc. lol. It can literally write itself.

I just wonder how burned out people might be on politics. I know the climate is the perfect one to bring this show back in but .... look at how much people whined when Roseanne and Will and Grace talked about politics in their first episode back (and Roseanne not once mentioned HIS name).

On 5/9/2018 at 8:37 PM, Ryan Chamberlain said:

We finally get to meet Phil's wife. Love it. 

I am praying and wishing that Miles/Corky reunited and are still together. 

His wife?

I believe Phyllis is his sister. It's likely so they can still say "Phyl" (instead of "Phil") and have it be a bit of a nod and joke to the original Phil. I love it. I think they cast the perfect actress to play his sister. It was a pretty smart move I think.

In at least one episode, the one where Linda Ellerbee guest starred, Phil referred to a wife named Phyllis. FYI did a story saluting the bar, causing it to become a tourist hangout. Phil couldn't handle the notoriety and was impotent.

But yeah, Tyne is playing his sister. Maybe I have too many hangups, but marrying someone with the same name as your sister seems a bit off to me.

Edited by Franko

14 minutes ago, Franko said:

In at least one episode, the one where Linda Ellerbee guest starred, Phil referred to a wife named Phyllis. FYI did a story saluting the bar, causing it to become a tourist hangout. Phil couldn't handle the notoriety and was impotent.

But yeah, Tyne is playing his sister. Maybe I have too many hangups, but marrying someone with the same name as your sister seems a bit off to me.

Yeah, it's odd. Maybe they forgot? lol. I did!

Edited by KMan101

Not enough to not make it a huge success.

This clip is a hoot. The humor in the interviews actually works. It's the best argument for the show so far.

Edited by Vee

From the above article:

Kahl, along with Thom Sherman, CBS’ senior executive vice president of programming, also shared a bit of what will happen in the new “Murphy Brown.”

For starters, Candace Bergen will trade in her “FYI” newsmagazine show and will host a morning cable news show called “Murphy in the Morning.”

“Her son is going to be in the series and he is on a competing network at the same time frame,” explained Sherman.

When asked if it would be similar to the real-world battles between MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” and Fox News’ “Fox & Friends,” Kahl responded: “That’s a pretty good characterization.”

The promo above wisely highlights a number of modern touchstones from the old show including this moment, but just putting it here as well:

What do we make of the fact CBS gave the show a sandwich slot (9:30 Thursday), as opposed to making it an anchor? I think it was a refreshing sign they're going in with measured, realistic expectations.

I think it's well-placed.

I'll be shocked if it's a hit or lasts more than one season, but Roseanne shocked me too. I thought Roseanne would do okay but I didn't know it'd do that well. I'll just be happy to see the show again and see it standing for its values in 2018. And yeah, the promo was remarkably funny considering I found some of the old show - last I checked some years back - a bit creakier than I remembered. I'll have to see if it's on Hulu or somewhere and look at more old eps. Then again I last watched mostly the first season; I remember it being wickedly funny later on.