"Murphy Brown" revival 2018

• Members

Same.

In the original show's pilot episode, Murphy wasn't sure she could come back from rehab and still be Murphy.  Last night's return posed a similar question: can Murphy Brown still be relevant in an age of talking heads and "fake news"?  Her small victory at the end, when she learned "Old Murphy" had beaten her son's show in the overnight ratings, said, "Yes, she can."  So, I loved how one episode sort of echoed the other.

The only things missing from last night?  Eldin, of course, and Jim; but also, it would have been nice to see Murphy "sing" "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman" one more time.

Edited by Khan

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm sure they will be seen as a disappointment (especially as they are likely to fall next week), but they did mostly hold Mom's audience. I'm really not sure what CBS should expect, given that the show was off the air for 20 years, and unlike Roseanne, was never as popular for as lengthy a period of time, either when it aired, or in syndication. 

I finished the show, and while I do get the criticisms, I was surprised the critics were as hard as they were. I didn't think it was that terrible. The laugh track annoyed me, and I had to skip the scenes near the end when she was facing off against Trump (the tweets were cleverly written, but the whole thing was just too smug and self-aware and it was distasteful to see them almost begging Trump to respond to the real life version [which I don't think is going to happen]). The other news segments weren't as bad, but they also didn't make me laugh very much. I will say that the cast got right back on the horse with their performances, even after all these years...especially Joe Regalbuto, who was always underrated. And the chemistry between Candice Bergen, Faith Ford, Joe and Grant Shaud is still solid. 

I'm glad that there were little moments to humble Murphy (like the young girl not recognizing her, and her being chastened that her "real news" talk show had become a trainwreck). This is much-needed, because even after all this time and with Bergen's somewhat softer delivery, the character still runs a huge risk of just trampling through scenes and stories. I wouldn't have much patience for the Trump elements without this balance. I hope it will continue.

I thought the scenes with Avery and Miles were the highlight of the episode. I saw a review saying Hayley Joel Osment would have made more sense as Avery. I understand why they felt that way, but I liked Jake McDorman's performance. He was naturally charming and sweet, yet had a bit of a snarky edge to him, as Murphy's son naturally would. The bit of an edge helped make what is a very sheltered, Aaron Sorkin-esque writing choice (Avery is going to go on a conservative news channel and talk to "real people" about "real issues") feel more sincere.

Most importantly, Jake and Candice also seemed to really enjoy working together, making them a believable mother and son duo. Something just clicked. I actually believed this was Murphy and her child. And the chemistry between them goes a long way to help Murphy feel like a much more rounded person. I really got into those scenes.

So, I don't even know if this will get past a season, or if I will be there to the end of the season, but for now anyway, it has me.

• Members

Oh, well.

Yes, many will see it as a disappointment.  Those on the right will, no doubt, see it as some sort of vindication.  Me?  I'm just going to watch, and to heck with what anyone has to say about it.  If the right can live in their bubble, so can I.

• Members

It premiered soft. So I agree with this. I'm happy to revisit the series. Guess we'll see how it goes. They sort of buried it.

I enjoyed it as well. I'm not even bothering to read the reviews. I wasn't sure what to expect with the ratings. Like you said, it hasn't had the long successful syndication run Roseanne had. Murphy barely lasted anywhere when it would be rerun. Will & Grace hasn't exactly been everywhere in syndication either but it's much healthier than Murphy was. So the ratings aren't really all that surprising just based on average awareness.

I lol'd at the millenial asking her mother who Murphy Brown was in Phil's. The mom was all excited and the kid was like "who". I think that scene sums up the ratings, personally. And I personally think Mom should be the 9:30 show. It's a weaker lead-in but Murphy held the total viewers really. It'll be interesting to see where it goes. CBS didn't feel 100% for Murphy like ABC and NBC felt with Roseanne and Will & Grace. IMO of course. There just wasn't the same kind of buzz. 

But I really enjoyed it. It was comfortable and timely and entertaining. That's all I want. I really like the new additions. I'll take even just one season.

CBS will just have to wrestle with losing Big Bang next year, Young Sheldon will either prove itself a hit or a timeslot hit (I think it will fall to the latter, personally) ... I doubt both new Monday night sitcoms make it unless they premiere really well. So Murphy could make it. CBS is going to be in an interesting spot. Magnum and FBI aren't hot. I figured Magnum would fall into the Blue Bloods, 5-0 comfort range.... 

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I suppose for all intents and purposes Miles and Corky are just divorced. I can't recall if they broke up offscreen after Grant Shaud left - I know there was trouble in the marriage with him away.

I thought the newscast was surprisingly hilarious, esp the EPA lady falling through the ice. It all just came off much better than I thought. Not genius, but good and cute.

Edited by Vee

• Members

If I were HW/Showrunning a ATWT revival, I'd do the same for a few characters in the last decade of that show.

I saw the premiere of Murphy Brown and even though I avoid reviews and didn't read any this time around, I'd have to agree with a few of the headlines that claimed that the comedy mostly went missing.  I could see what they were going for and trying to accomplish but the humor sometimes didn't come through.

I will say that the actual "show" where Murphy had that acidic exchange with Trump's tweets, as well as the new EPA person doing live remote provided the easiest laughs.  That segment was actually funny.

Also, I can appreciate the grace notes of Murphy and Bailey (is that his name?) discussing what happened to Eldin.  The password scene was also a nice subtle nod to Murphy's love of Aretha.

It's tough to try to lay down all that exposition for the characters and still have room for laughs.  I'd like to give the series a grace period to see if it finds its footing.

It's clever of English just not to even touch it.  Those who know, know and those who don't, likely won't care anyway. 

Unless it becomes germane to some storyline down the road, where the characters are forced to acknowledge it, I'd leave it be.

Edited by DramatistDreamer