Hollywood Sexual Harrasment/Assault Thread

cct

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Believe it or not, this cover has generated some clapback.

The founder of the MeToo movement was not on the cover (she's on the inside) and there were people complaining that Kesha should've been on the cover, rather than Taylor Swift.

The Silence Breakers definitely deserved the POTY but the execution was not all it could've been.

• Members

For all her faults, Taylor's trial this year was a BIG deal. I definitely have an issue with her bullying that blogger with a potential lawsuit for daring to talk about the alt-right following she has acquired but refuses to publicly denounce, but abuse is abuse no matter who the woman is (ditto Megyn Kelly, although Gretchen Carlson deserves equal if not more attention for her role in Roger Ailes' downfall). We can challenge them on their faults, but if we try to fight back with a "perfect victim" narrative every time  someone comes forward who we may either have issues with or outright don't like, we ALL lose. My feeling, as a woman, is that I may disagree on certain things certain women believe, but I will fight with everything I have to make sure those same women have the same rights I do. 

This is how I feel about Leeann Tweeden, too. Yes, she's a Trump supporter, but what Al Franken did to her was wrong, full stop. 

TIME made a statement that they wanted to focus their cover on women who impacted this movement this year in particular, hence (at least part of) the reason Kesha wasn't on the cover (although her album coming out this year might have been reason enough to include her, I don't know). 

No, I've seen it on Twitter all day. I don't agree with all the criticism, but as a white woman, I feel a responsibility to shut up and listen to black women/women of color and their criticism (the people who are just trolling/being angry for no reason? not so much). 

Oh no, I know about the arm on the cover, I meant the Tweet I linked of the cover in this thread. It shows up cut in half here, with the half of the cover with Taylor/the arm missing entirely. I guess the embedding was weird or something. 

Edited by MissLlanviewPA

• Members

Taylor's only there for the off chance she'd sell copies (even though she's barely recognizable), and she gave Time her only interview since she started promoting Reputation, which is a coup for them. But if anything Rose McGowan should be in her place.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Actually some of the harshest critiques on Swift came from other White women.

Awesomely Luvvie did write a blogpost claiming that she knew why Swift was on the cover while asking why she was really on the cover, but stated that she wasn't question the validity of Swift's presence in the issue but why on the cover.

I saw quite a few tweets like this today.

And that wasn't even the harshest one I saw. There was another one that came across my timeline (someone had retweeted it) that was very lengthy.

My issue with the cover was that Time choose to put Terana Burke on the inside and not on the cover.

She was the first person to say Me Too, almost two decades ago. 

I have to give props to Alyssa Milano because when the media wanted to brand her as the face of the MeToo movement, when she discovered that Burke had started this movement in the late 90s, Milano was very quick to try to educate people about Burke and has been doing so ever since.

In any case, I am glad to see this type of acknowledgement before Time gets taken over by Meredith Corporation, we may never see this type of acknowledgement of any type of progressive issues on their cover ever again.

Edited by DramatistDreamer