Hollywood Sexual Harrasment/Assault Thread

cct

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Very brave of them - they know nothing will happen other than even more hate coming their way, but they also know this is the only way to keep it in the news. 

Meanwhile, we're seeing a variety of men who have been pushed as liberal heroes in recent years in spite of a lengthy history showing just the opposite (Baldwin by...being himself, Judd Apatow by pushing years of TV and films degrading women, and promoting sexist tropes and misogynist men, along with encouraging homophobia), showing their true colors. This is why I hate how insular the media is. Apatow in particular has gotten nothing but gushing and raves (and a whole lot of money) for his trash and for setting up the careers of trash like Lena Dunham and that woman who worked for her who addressed complaints black women had about not being represented in Girls by replying that she'd never been represented in Precious (she is now headlining another Apatow piece the media goes gaga over - Love...also another Netflix show, which tells you a lot about their views).

http://www.vulture.com/2017/12/alec-baldwin-thinks-post-weinstein-movement-could-derail.html

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/a14398286/judd-apatow-defends-lena-dunham/

I think someone already mentioned this, but the accusations Lena's pal made against the woman who claims he sexually assaulted her have been retracted.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/girls-writer-murray-miller-retraction-aurora-perrineau-1202633343/

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Do people really think that Baldwin and Apatow are liberal heroes?  This is the first time I've heard of this!

I know that Baldwin has a history of being verbally abusive toward the women in his life (and possibly physically abusive) and Apatow's portrayal of women in films has been described as leaving a lot to be desired (I admit to seeing very little of Apatow's work).

Didn't we discuss t he Murray Miller/Lena Dunham matter a few pages back?  There was a black blogger who used to write for Dunham's blog and quit and wrote and open letter that put her on blast for her comments about Perrineau. Perhaps it was discussed elsewhere and I'm thinking it was here.  I would be surprised if anyone was checking for anything Dunham says. Her narcissism is well documented by now.

I've talked to other friends about the very interesting dynamic of how Black women's views have continually been disregarded from the election to the revamped #MeToo movement (see the reaction to Lupita N'yongo compared to everyone else).

Those of us who are Black women are not surprised by the immediate pushback on Perrineau's allegations-- this the history of Black women in America (see Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemmings, to Anita Hill ) whose stories and feelings are usually discounted.

This is only new and a surprise to others.

• Members

I feel like a lot of people started ignoring Baldwin's past when his Trump impression took off and they naively believed that he was rattling Trump so that made him great. 

With Apatow I don't know if it's the public as much as the media - they have given such outsized importance to his opinions on Weinstein and Bill Cosby, while downplaying moments like his whining that people were trying to "censor" HBO for calling for Confederate to not be put on the air.

• Members

Yep you are right, we dragged Lena Dunham a couple of pages back. I had hoped her career as the human foghorn would now be over, but clearly her close personal friend AND exec producing partner Judd Apatow thinks she deserves another chance! Follow the money, folks! That's the only reason Apatow is piping up.

I can only echo what you are saying about black women. It feels like even with some of these stories coming out, some black women are being muffled or shushed for speaking out. Dunham saying Aurora Perrineau going to the LAPD was the 3% of false rape cases reported for libel was so shocking and egregious a statement, I don't think I can ever really forgive it. She should be sued for slander. 

I admit to enjoying Anchorman, Bridesmaids and 40-Year Old Virgin, but I don't think Judd Apatow has ever been a friend to the feminist movement. The sad thing is, he and Dunham probably think they have been. Neither realise how coddled and hopelessly out of touch they are. 

Mario Batali, huh. It was only a matter of time before this touched the restaurant business.

Edited by Cat