GH has a new co-head writer

• Members

I thought for sure the job would have gone to Whitesell, but, I'd rather see a person like Van Etten, who knows the show get the job than a repeat of Pratt, Jr. or someone who would try plot-driven catastrophes with characters no one knows or cares about to drive up ratings.  GH already went that route in '76='77 and was thisclose to getting cancelled as a result.  I don't know much about this guy, but I think he'll be okay.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Chris undoubtedly got the job because he's a much less expensive hire than a more established, experienced head writer would be. As for Shelly being beloved by cast and crew (who's your source - names, please), that won't save her behind if the ratings don't improve. Also, bringing a younger perspective won't mean squat if the same old over-the-top, implausible stories keep getting played out.  Altman needs to go. She's a boring, uninventive writer. Can't she just take an early retirement with Jean??? We can only wish. 

• Members

So glad that Shelly is beloved. I knew she was loved, but beloved is even better. Will be great that Chris will be beloved as new co HW, too. So much belovedness on the set. And hey, I heard Maurice is beloved, too. Everyone has the feels for him, especially when he gets shot in a storyline a few times a year. That's when a lot of the beloved feelings for him come out. William DeVry used to be beloved, but he's not any more.

• Members

I loved the old days when head writers weren't beloved but feared.

They say when Irna Phillips visited the studio,Ms. Phillips greatest HW of all time, the stars would go and hide in their dressing rooms and crew people and executives would quake in their shoes until she left.

What she said was law. An executive could suggest changes but she did things her own way. I bet there isn't a head writer alive now that can command that type of respect (and fear)!

• Members

I don't think that's anything to strive for, do you? To frighten people into doing what you want. And from I've read and heard over the years I wouldn't necessarily call Irna Phillips the greatest HW of all time. Yes, she was a very important person in soap opera history, and she had an enormous influence on the genre. But all stories about her aren't exactly glowing.

• Members

+1

And LOL at Jonny thinking Shelly isn't going anywhere because she is "loved". As you say Jonny, it's a BUSINESS. It won't matter. If ratings go down, Shelly's out. It's that simple. Eventually they'll realize Frank is part of the problem.

Will you leave the woman be? Do you hang on Twitter breathlessly waiting for her to post?

• Members

Yeah, but there would be no Stanco, NinUGH, Woodpile, Jillian (who's ridiculously younger than Alexis), Amy, etc.  There would be stories and emotional payoffs!  Not this weekly anticlimactic trash!

Where's Monica now?  And wouldn't she have told that sewer rat off by now for killing AJ?  Monica praised Sonny for doing such a wonderful job bringing up Michael?  All bullchit!  

Bobbie is here to solidify that her daughter belongs with the man who continues to disrespect and humiliate her.  

ChiaScott as Stanco's dad?  Would Guza have done that?  Hell no!  So there is no way in hell he and Jill were worse than this POS, Valentini!  When is he "retiring", BTW?!!!

Laura?  Meh...

Archived