Y&R: June 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

Yeah, it should have been Adam and Abby vs Nick and Victoria although Nick never cared a damn about Newman. I wish Adam would have turned out to be the son Victor wanted in Nick. Nick would have been jealous with envy at how great they got along. Abby and Victoria never had a rivalry....what a waste.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They hinted at a rivalry between Abby/Victoria when Marcy Rylan first took the role, but it was nixed immediately as Abby became a Nikki apologist. After all the heinous sh-t Victoria/Nikki did to Ashley, it would've been poetic justice for Abby to have dished it right back at them. I hate how they made Abby drop her hatred for Nikki so quickly. Ugh! 

• Members

I wouldn't mind Chelsea if SSM had put in effort to make her a character worth rooting for instead of almost immediately sticking her with Nicholas once JH exited.

The character has largely spent her time as the extension of a male character during her time on the show instead of pursuing an unnecessary relationship & having her act as a semi-puppet of Victor's it would've been better to watch the Newman Family (with various degrees of reluctance) rally around her.

For example it would've been very easy (and much more realistic) for Sharon to befriend Chelsea because Sharon knows better than anyone how it feels to be a Newman-in-law and Abby could've chosen to support Chelsea & Connor because she knows the pain of losing a father at a young age.

But focusing on her friendship with Chloe doesn't work (like everything that's been done with Chloe since the terrible twist of making her Kate) because neither character has anything remotely resembling a three dimensional personality which is why their current story about who deserves revenge more aka the Grifting Baby Making Machine or the Insane Plot Contrivance has been thoroughly underwhelming in every way.

• Members

Well Heather Tom was gone and was disinterested in returning. They should've cast Gina Tognoni or Sarah J. Brown as Victoria but that's another story. 

It boggles my mind how many great story beats that show is squashed over a decade. Just goes to show how TIIC (whether it is network heads or writers) don't thoroughly think out these stories. 

• Members

Going Victoria & Nicholas vs. Adam & Abby would've been too cliche.

It would've been much more interesting (and more in character) to go with Victoria & Adam vs. Nicholas & Abby (with Colleen caught in the middle).

• Members

Well they didn't try any of it. Instead Victoria went her way and Nick became the true loser he's been for years. I don't see the purpose in Nick. He does nothing and Victor has stopped caring about him. Nick could leave the canvas and he wouldn't be missed since he hasn't been relevant in years.

Aww...you're giving Sally too much credit. The story if you can call it one lasted 3 weeks if that....too bad there hasn't been a question and answer with TB on Twitter....I'd ask her what the hell happened to her big story?

• Members

There are alot of cooks in the kitchen. I think that's obvious. Everyone has a different agenda. I don't blame Sally for not being able to satisfy everyone BTS plus put out a stellar show. It's an impossible task. 

Chelsea got the attention she did (not so much now) because the show needed a new leading heroine to take Sharon's place cause she'd been destroyed AND cause Chelsea and Adam took off as a couple. 

• Members

I've said it repeatedly over the years but one of the things that's really ruined the characters has been the writers warping them to fit the strengths of miscast actors. AH is not a bad actress but she CANNOT carry a show. She makes a fine secondary or tertiary heroine but she is NOT a Lead Actress. 

If Y&R had committed to initially hiring (or currently recast the character with) a stronger actress as Victoria a lot of the effects of the bad writing could be avoided.

JM has the same problem. He was fine as Nicholas when he had strong actresses who helped elevate his performance but he CANNOT carry a show on his own (which is why poor Sharon Case has been thrown under the bus so many times).

The worst thing that EVER happened to Nicholas was how Y&R warped the character to make the Nick & Phyllis relationship happen. Nicholas was a strong character & JM was a decent actor but that story made NO sense and it came with the added bonuses of having the Newman Family abandoning a grieving mother and a certain group of stans insisting a desperate kiss between a patriarch & his daughter in law years prior and an emotional ONS between two friends is/was the same as A TORRID AFFAIR WITH THE WOMAN WHOSE SON YOU FEEL IS AT THE VERY LEAST SEMI-RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR DAUGHTER'S DEATH.

• Members

Since we have two below average actors we're stuck with them having relationship storylines. Victoria and Billy have been beaten to death and I am so sick of it. I thought SSM would split them up but they are still in the same orbit. Nick is now playing the role of Paul. He is the new detective in town. Poor Paul...

• Members

I have no problem believing Victoria & Nicholas would initially work together (because of their shared belief of each being the only 'true' Newmans) but there is more than enough bad blood between them as individuals to justify them not working together.

Victoria has had no problem working with people she's disliked for years if/when it suits her own interests and Nicholas has always wanted to escape his father's shadow even at the expense of burning bridges within his own family.

Yup. And because Abby is her sister and Victoria was her stepmother. 

Archived