Y&R: May 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly! Nikki & Sharon are both blue collar girls who have NEVER forgotten their roots (despite seriously wanting to at times). The fact that neither can spot Tessa running a con on their grandson/son is ridiculous.

I have enjoyed post-Dylan Sharon a LOT but most of her character "growth" has been offscreen except when it's needed to give her new romance a "hook." Speaking of "hooks" Nicholas romances keep failing because the show keeps reducing him to a sex object. Nicholas was a once a richly complex character who had ambitions & dreams of his own (which JM played very well) but the writers are fine with sticking with their Giggly Heffa Nick retcon as long as JM's abs hold up.

Nicholas & Sharon can still be sexy without being written as teenagers. The Victor/Nikki/Jack/Diane/Brad/Ashley sextet did it for DECADES.

Gloria as a fashion designer would actually have been a good way to redeem her.

Y&R should've had her create a budget line for middle class women of a certain age who are still vital (over Joanna's objections) which would've been the exact thing to revitalize Fenmore's sales.

THAT would semi-redeem Gloria, would work in her rivalry with Joanna, allow her to grow closer to Lauren and would give Michael something genuinely lighter and fun to deal with for a change.

• Members

(re: Tessa) I don't get that either. If Nikki was able to sniff Sharon out all those years ago (even though Sharon was no real threat to her), she should've sniffed Tessa out by now. I get Sharon taking a backseat and not saying anything as her life has been such a turmoil this past decade that it make sense for her reserve her judgment for now. 

With Sharon, I wish we could see her growth onscreen. I would've loved for Sharon's story to have been her talking to a therapist or life coach and ciphering through all the issues in her life. I hate how they are once again using a man (this time Scott) to serve as a bandage over Sharon's wounds. If they needed Scott in Sharon's orbit, they should've just had them as friends and overtime (like a year or 2) moved them into a romantic sphere. A man is the last thing Sharon needs. 

When it comes to Nick, he was once ambitious but that's all gone now. I feel like JM and the writers are phoning it in when it comes to Nick and have been since 2006. SSM and the writers just need to grow Nick up. It's getting old. 

• Members

The last thing Ashley needs is another businessman. She & Ravi aren't bad.

The problem is the writing isn't addressing three things about Ashley. WHO Ashley is now, WHY Ashley is the way she is now, and WHAT does Ashley currently want out of life.

Instead Y&R keeps making Ashley unpleasantly irrational and Ravi a glorified Gary Stu which is why their story continues to fail.

• Members

Exactly! Nikki & Sharon should be teaming up (like Katherine & Jill did against Nina) to keep Tessa in line. It would be much more refreshing to have Nikki play bad cop to Sharon's good cop around Tessa with them acknowledging they see right through her scams but are still genuinely willing to give her a shot at a better life because they understand how difficult it is to be poor.

Yes! Or even if Y&R didn't have going to therapy, they could at least show her doing her school work and applying what she's learned in real life. Scott being her friend & tutor was fairly sweet and it gave Sharon a much needed platonic male friend (which she hasn't had in years). Unfortunately Y&R loves using Sharon to facilitate the plot (at her own expense) so her growth and their "friendship" was never gonna last.

They biggest problem with Nicholas is that the writers had to change the character completely to justify Nick & Phyllis affair. Not just their marriage, but the affair period. Putting them together was one of Y&R's worst mistakes of the last 15 years. If Nick was ever going to cheat with anyone (especially in the aftermath of CASSIE'S death) it was ALWAYS gonna be Grace. The way N&S were warped to make that story happen was totally unforgivable.

• Members

The girl playing Maddie is obviously a very pretty girl. I rolled my eyes when the dialogue claimed Charlie is the good looking one and she's not. Just ridiculous.

Lily looks way too young to mother these twins, but oh, well. It's an absurdity I'm able to get past more than I can get past Nikki not seeing through Tessa.

Tessa annoys the hell out of me. She snaps at others for no reason, apologizes, then snaps again. She won't answer questions about who she is and where she's been. Who would want to be around this girl?

And I still say Tessa has ZERO chemistry with Noah. I think RA is a good actor, and I don't think his character is failing because of the writing for Nick and Sharon. Pairing him with slogs like Tessa is the problem.

I'm ok with Ravi, but it's absurd that he's the guru with all the answers when he's with Ashley. 

The character who started off off very strongly and is now a disaster is Reed. His conversations with anyone his age are awkward beyond belief. Today he called Charlie a blockhead. I backed up the dvr because I thought I was hearing things. I wasn't. He called him a blockhead. Reed's dialogue is ridiculous, his look is ridiculous, and I'd recast the character.

Dina has been good in scenes with every character, and that's a credit to Marla Adams. Eileen Davidson is always good, but she's been especially strong in her scenes with MA.

• Members

I just realized SSM has been covertly propping The Worm via other stories:

Quotes in The Worm's singalong toldja so voice with extended index finger waving: 

1) Dina's return: 'You see Ashley...'

2) Ben turning jerk in NY: 'You see Lauren...'

3) Chloe: 'You see Kevin...'

4) Philly2: 'You see Jack...' 

Before long, St Glo will be ruling the roost at the Abbott mansion, which wouldn't be horrible. Aunt Jack is not leading man material so might as well get some comedy drama action. 

• Members

He definitely gets the same archetype every time. Edgy, mysterious brunette with a secret! Ooooooooo! Abby gets the same kind of love interests too (scruffy douche bag who works a hero job and always tries to put her in her princess place) So damn tired. However good RA was on previous shows he's never presented it here (Marisa shined everywhere else on canvas but was a complete dud with him). Doesn't help he looks like Nick and Sharon's bloated younger brother, not their son. His lack of presence is why Noah is a firm supporting player and not the young lead he should be.

I'm just hoping Tessa's former "friend" isn't Jordan but I feel like thats where they're headed for some reason

Hillary luring Juliet to her lair to get the goods on her and Cane was  delicious 

Please register in order to view this content

I can't wait for her to throw this in Valley Mom's face

Eileen Davidson has been acting her ass off, I agree @ranger1rg

• Members

Watching yesterday show on Demand

I feel like CKLily is a big sister to Maddie. I just can't see CKLily going toe to toe with another mother over her children dating somebody she doesn't like.

I really think they should have brought back Ana & left Maddie as a little girl. That being said, I see the set up with Reed & Maddie hooking up. Reed getting back at Charlie for stealing Zoey, so Reed dates Maddie. So, this would leave out the traditional Romeo & Juliet with the parents. This would save CKLily going head to head with a parent.

Is Tess or whoever that girl talking to Noah talking about Jordan??? 

Archived