Y&R: May 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No. More like over a year. Every since Hilary came out of her coma and the show needed to redeem Neil. It seems this mode has stuck though.  I've decided to stop complaining about it. This is obviously what the show wants Hilary to be. 

• Members

Thanks for putting in context. I didn't realize the characters took that long to be introduced. I kind of thought Billy came back and suddenly we had Mac, Brittany, JT and Raul in pretty short order. It's what got me to watch after skipping nearly all of the 1990s! I guess I'm just compress years now! 

• Members

Nope. It took the better part of a year for Mackenzie, Billy & Raul to become friends.

During that time JT was an insignificant recurring character (he was only around for literally like 5 episodes total as a extremely recurring character) who only existed to continue Jill & Billy's issues.  

Brittany doesn't even become semi-part of the group until six months after the B/M/R trio are firmly established as friends (with Rianna only existing as JT's interchangeable girlfriend & Brittany's erstwhile confidant at that point).

The five of them (Billy/Mackenzie/Raul/Brittany/Rianna) don't officially become the initial 'Glow By Jabot Gang' until the following summer (with JT remaining an extremely recurring occasional antagonist) which is when Brittany slowly becomes part of the core group (followed on an even smaller & more gradual scale) by Rianna six months later.

It isn't until the second year of the Glow By Jabot Gang's existence that JT officially rounds out the core group (as part of one of Jill's schemes & because of his feelings for Mackenzie).

The formation of the Glow By Jabot Gang was gradual and organic, unlike the 'add water and stir' Y&R teen sets that followed their wake.

• Members

Most soaps back then, by and large used to take their time to methodically and gradually introduce new characters, that way, viewers could form their opinion of a new character, not based on some contrived 'back story' but by what they see of the character onscreen and maybe even come to care about a "newbie" who would not be at risk of alienating viewers by eating too much show.  

It was a sensible strategy that today's writers appear to lack the skill to do.

• Members

@DramatistDreamer I find it ironic it's SSM, not Pratt, who has added a ton of new characters/SORAS in just 6 months. I count at least 10! 5 teens and Tessa, Scott, Ravi, Jordan and Juliette. That's way too many - and doesn't include return of The Worm, too much too soon, and Dina, which actually has been good even if it's a retread of a told already told. 

• Members

Exactly since Bryton was only man on canvas that was under 40 at the time! JT/GR were turning 40 soon and MA was rarely on.  But there were 7 women in that category - the oldest being EH at 37 and youngest HHK, both of whom are effectively gone. 

• Members

The new characters aren't the problem. Because Y&R was in desperate need of younger actors/characters (especially women). 

It's that Y&R keeps twisting vets to make them happen. One thing Alden was really great at was using a characters history to believably integrate new characters onto the canvas. 

That's missing these days because SSM can barely tell a competent 'A' story (let alone a complex umbrella story).

So new characters are on constantly one day then arbitrarily disappear for weeks with little to no influence on the plot. That's a problem. The vets have the same problem (except inverse). Many of them heavily influence the plot but aren't allowed a proper enough amount of airtime for their stories to be truly effective. 

• Members

I've been saying Y&R needs young people.  But not these actors who've obviously never had work beyond extra work.  And it's waste of time sticking them in high school.  No one cares about that  drama.  And to be honest this group ain't good looking enough to attract the younger demo.

• Members

I know, right? Also Lily can still use the interview with Hilary - just edit the hockey footage. Oh, but it was convenient to just have Cane smash it so that we can move to Juliette turning psycho.... 

The dialogue is really lacking - the Nelsea scenes with the doctor has real 'tense' issue - Chelsea/Dr speaking as if Chloe just released - even though it was a year ago. It wasn't until Nick dialogue that they got back to present. Weird. Nice to see EH... hopefully Adam recast is moving along 

Archived