"The Conners" Discussion Thread

• Members

I agree that she self-sabotaged herself. Many people are like that. If only she had just listened to her kids and kept her mouth shut but she just can't do it. She really has some mental illness issues she needs to deal with. She's not well, at all.

That was an interesting read.

That's sad. But she has a mental illness and she is a paranoid person. If I think about it from her point of view, she was paranoid about losing her show and in her twisted mind, she sees Sara Gilbert as stealing her show, basically. I get it. Sara took control. Washed her hands quickly of Roseanne and now it's called "The Conners" and Sara's the star. I'm not saying Roseanne isn't nuts to keep blaming everyone but herself (she can't because that's admitting she sabotaged herself) but when someone has a mental illness ... they view things differently. If I were Roseanne, I'd think Sara is after my show and job too. But Roseanne, still, almost a year later, remains unable to actually acknowledge how wrong she was, the mistake she made, and how she cost HERSELF her job. As the comedian said in the written piece from the WAPOST, she could have handled an apology so much better, but she didn't want. She went into the new show thinking everyone was against her and that they were "trying to silence her" (when in reality, they were trying to PROTECT her) ... it's really a sad situation.

Her kids desperately tried to get her off social media. They knew what she'd do to herself. And she did.

Good. She deserves even more. She was the true highlight. I've always liked her and enjoyed her version of Becky but it's been nice seeing her really take off this time and she's getting a lot of kudos. I love it. She deserves it. She reminds me a lot of Laurie Metcalfe. Just someone who takes you by total surprise and ends up being so great you can't help but watch them.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Same here.  I forgive her, but I'll be damned if I'm going to feel sorry for her.

Yep.

The whole damn world knows and remembers the many, many times Roseanne pushed the boundaries of civility and good taste (among other things).  There's a difference, though, between disrespecting the national anthem and calling a Black woman an ape (and no, she doesn't get a pass just by claiming she didn't know Valerie Jarrett was Black -- which I don't buy anyway, but I digress).  That, along with the Hitler tweet, was indefensible and inexcusable.  Point blank, period.

Yes, in our society, every individual is entitled to express exactly what is on his or her mind, even if it disgusts everybody else to hear it.  But, freedom of speech doesn't also mean freedom from consequences.  If you compare an African-American to an ape on social media, then you damn well better expect there to be pushback.  People who keep defending Roseanne (and others like her) need to remember that.

Edited by Khan

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Good news

I think they were non-committal earlier in the year about her coming back because Katey had a sitcom in development (I think on ABC? I can't keep up anymore!).

If we're not getting Married with Grandchildren, then I'm all for her on The Conners.

Edited by KMan101