"The Conners" Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yeah. I don't recall them giving the character much depth, or development, either. It was a missed opportunity. I do think she came off too harsh.

They never name drop her. It feels out of place. They should still be talking about her. But I get why (and yes Dan says "us" "we" ...). I don't miss Roseanne the person but honestly, as much as I adore The Conners without her, I sometimes do miss Roseanne Conner the character. Not a popular take I'm sure. Doesn't mean I miss Roseanne the person ... I can separate the two, but it's hard and I know some can't.

I don't recall them mentioning her name at all. Was it meant to be Kathy Bowman or just the actress was back and they knew she could play that type of role well? But it makes sense for Kathy to shame her grandson into denial. I feel like we don't get enough time with these storylines. I was waiting for the tag to be Dan seeing her, but nope, we got Jackie and her weird Ben attraction (why not pair them for the hell of it?) so ... was it meant to be Kathy? (I didn't see the end credits so I apologize if it was confirmed)

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Agree 1000% which is why I really enjoyed the Roseanne reboot. Of course, all the hype was around the first episode and her pro-Trump stance but that was literally just one episode. And for someone to say they loved the original "Roseanne" but didn't watch to see Roseanne Barr is like saying you loved "The Nanny" except for Fran Drescher. Whether you like someone off-camera or not, you enjoyed the character portrayed onscreen. 

P.S. if that was Kathy, poor thing got dragged back to Lanford from Chicago once again! I guess Jerry can take back an extra couple inches of the bedsheet tonight.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

She's credited as "Austin's grandmother" so who knows? Maybe they intentionally left it vague.

And agreed on the first part. I don't care for Roseanne the person but I enjoyed Roseanne Conner and without either Roseanne we wouldn't even have The Conners.

• Members

I liked Gina but they never did anything with the character. She was there to talk about Jesus and for the sake of a press release about being the girl DJ didn't want to kiss when they were young...and the wife he barely shared scenes or affection with when they grew up. The episode where they went to church to support her was a nice way to make her feel included and to show the softer side of the Conners, but most of the time they were at a loss. 

I haven't watched the new episodes yet but I wonder if they mentioned that Kathy's son was good friends with DJ. 

• Members

I remember, Vee. You've said it before

Please register in order to view this content

And it is?  Relax.

IMHO, they don't do it enough, whether some want to hear the name or not. It feels like they miss natural spots, that's really all I'm trying to say, sorry if you find it redundant. Becky should be allowed to miss her mother in times like this. I just want more and I'm not sorry about it, lol. But I get why they don't.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Any mention of Roseanne (Conner) on this show has to be better than what happened at "Valerie's Family"/"The Hogan Family" after they canned Valerie Harper.  Not only did they stop mentioning Valerie rather quickly -- I swear there were times when we were supposed to assume Sandy Duncan had been there all along! -- BUT, they even wrote an episode where the attic burned down, and with it, all the photos and other mementos the family ever had of their matriarch.  (Like, REALLY, Miller/Boyett?  Every. Single. One?)

Edited by Khan

• Members

The premiere is cute. Laurie Metcalf looks amazing. Becky gets a great entry line about her baby - 'she's watching the papers for a younger uterus and a better neighborhood!' Nice to see Chuck again at the card game as always (and Bev).

Darlene got some comebacks with Harris and the boy's mom (British actress Lucy Punch, who I was not expecting to ever see on a US multi-cam sitcom!) that were pure Roseanne Conner. The scene with Dan where they fought about who raised the kids, him or Roseanne, bringing up the Lobo and the bikes, etc. was great.

Michael Fishman looks very hot, ngl. I'm pretty sure they redid the opening again, though Dan still does the sausage gag.

Lecy was great at the end, and I loved her naming the baby Beverly Rose. But her remark at the end, and my having not seen last week's yet, makes me suspect a twist is coming. The hug with D.J. was sweet. It was very surreal seeing another Conner baby born prematurely and in the NICU after all the Harris drama in the '90s (which Darlene referenced).

Darlene's predicament is funny, but Ben deserves better treatment. I did crack up at Jackie commenting about having been with two men at once, and offering to take Ben off Darlene's hands, and Darlene's reply: "Stay away from him!"

• Members

Episode 2:

Everything with Mark was surprisingly matter of fact, and Ames McNamara is still great (and amazingly self-assured about it, which makes sense given Darlene and David's liberal background in Chicago before the family moved home). I don't know if I'd be so chill if my 12 yo came home talking about having a boyfriend, and I'm gay! I loved Dan teasing him and giving him relationship advice. And his reaction to his little friend spurning him was honestly had to watch since, as Harris says, he's a constant uncharacteristic-to-the-Conners ray of sunshine. Which I guess lends itself to his self-assurance which briefly gets crushed.

They didn't explicitly list her as Kathy Bowman (though I am assuming she was Kathy), but the actress still has that great dry wit re: her grandson's deadbeat mom. Galecki was great finally being shown as an awkward parent and then actually parenting well with Darlene for Mark. And Michael Fishman is still distractingly hot, especially in a well-fitting long-sleeved top.

The Dan/Becky scene at the end was sweet. And this was a hoot re: Darlene's two-timing (along with Jackie's lust for Ben and getting lost in her thoughts of his beard, and constant trolling of Darlene - with the tag at the end I do wonder if they're actually going to try Jackie and Ben eventually):

Darlene: You can't make me feel worse about myself than I already do.

Jackie: At least let me try.