"The Conners" Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Two weeks(?) behind: D.J. doing cheesy magic tricks for the wrong baby in the NICU was gold. The kind of comedy Michael Fishman excels at.

The moment where Dan accidentally calls Louise "Rose" was beautifully played by Goodman and Sagel.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Finally caught up! 

Darlene's treatment of Harris and her stoner friend was again pure Roseanne - she parents like her mom more all the time. Loved David back at the family table. Johnny Galecki really does slot right back in. Louise still fits very well each week, and that's helped by continuing the constant recurring presence of side characters like Chuck, Bev, Crystal, etc. to fill out the familiar canvas. The original show lost sight of that later on but the revival never has. Loved Becky bantering with Dan and Louise, and her later heart to heart with Dan.

Jackie continuing her relentless trolling of Darlene over the love triangle, laughing and driving away was brilliant. I also enjoy her continual lust for Ben.

That therapy scene was unexpectedly deep, especially the flashback and when David said "I don't think you've heard me since I was fifteen." Sara Gilbert brought it as usual.

I do hope Ben hangs around, but I'm torn on whether he should reunite with Darlene or get with Jackie tbqh.

• Members

I know the old show is gone and dead, but I miss the early Halloween years where we got story-based moments for their costumes, whether it be pranking the hell out of their neighbors, or Roseanne being stuck in a bar mistaken for a man. I think it would have been nice to have some fun with the theme rather than just people wearing costumes. Not having Darlene in two heavy stories the same week would have been a needed breather. 

I don't have a lot of investment in Darlene and Ben, but I thought the way the show handled the fallout was refreshing. In the later seasons of the old show, the men were often ground into the dust, weak and pathetic and unworthy. That wasn't the case here. Ben was cold toward Darlene, but not particularly unfair, and we weren't asked to jeer him for the way he felt. I thought the scene where Darlene tried to reconcile with Ben, only to keep tripping over how many secrets she'd kept and how much she'd taken for granted, was great. 

I wish they'd done the material with Mary when her mother was still on the show, but I do appreciate the idea, and I thought most of the scenes, like DJ not knowing what to do, and Mary feeling defeated, were strong. I had mixed feelings about her conversation with Mark, mostly because I wish the show had pointed out that a black girl making faces to "scare" people away is not going to get the same response that a white boy doing that will. I did like seeing them talk and seeing more family connections. 

The material with Jackie, Darlene, Bev and Becky felt more like the old Roseanne than just about anything in the revival. Very emotionally fraught material that leaves you feeling or understanding the position of everyone involved. It's nice to see Jackie as her old self again. I can't believe Estelle Parsons is 92. Her acting is actually better now than it was 25 years ago.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I know Darlene has a point Re: The Lunch Box

But Id love to see Jackie & Becky run the place

Maybe Louise can invest as well. Because if they reopen Lunchbox, i see the Mexican place not being shown and they need something more to do with Louise outside of dating Dan