"The Conners" Discussion Thread

• Members

The original show had intentional serial-like elements because Barr wanted it to reflect her own life and how certain themes played out over time as opposed to being resolved in a matter of one 30 minute episode and then quickly forgotten (like most sitcoms would).  

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I wish the show would bring up the element of Jackie using Roseanne's family as a crutch from truly living her own life.  Darlene was right that Jackie was/is still kind of a loser.. and Jackie was right that Darlene was trying to replace Roseanne (probably cause Roseanne kept saying that Darlene was so much like her... but I never thought Roseanne or Darlene were anything alike at all.. other than liking to write and making wisecracks).

• Members

A lot of Jackie's co-dependency had a lot to do with Roseanne never being able to let go of her too. They kind of tried to explain it as Roseanne always seeing herself as Jackie's protector after their sh!tty childhood with an physically abusive father and emotionally abusive mother. However, it just never stopped. 

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I kinda agree. They also really torpedoed Jackie/Fred which I didn't like either. I'm annoyed they ignore Andy because he DID exist, but I also don't hate it when I think about what I maybe would have changed from the original. 

I don't mind Sara hedging her bets. I think she sees the potential in it being explored.

Crystal and Ed had Ed Jr and Angela (never knew the name for some reason no matter how many thousands of times I've rewatched the original Roseanne, read it in the article, LOL!). Wouldn't mind seeing Lonnie, wasn't he Darlene's age? Or in between Becky and Darlene?

I'm hopeful it means more Crystal. Her popping out kids with Ed was a big thing for a while until they both vanished. I love me some Katey Sagal but I'd rather have more Crystal than forcing Louise.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Yeah it always felt like too much. Like "we don't know what to do anymore with the character so lets just knock her up". Then Roseanne got bored with Crystal popping out kids and then had Jackie and Darlene, then herself get pregnant. It was a lot. Crystal's kids felt like temporary shock plots, at least the girl did.

Although have they at all mentioned Jerry in The Conners? Obviously he was mentioned in Roseanne Season 10. I'm good with them forgetting the awful final season but Andy was born in 1994. Before the final season. If anyone should be "erased" it should be Jerry (remember when Jerry was supposed to girl but then surprise it's a boy?). Harris exists. They used the same story ...

It's messy, lol. They need to figure it out.

Edited by KMan101