"The Conners" Discussion Thread

• Members

I'm with Sara Gilbert that Andy shouldn't be ruled out entirely. That's incredibly generous for writers to pick 'n choose which aspects of the original show was part of Roseanne's "dreams/writings." 

Jackie being pregnant was one of the biggest highlights of Season 6.  I did hate, though, how starting Season 7 and beyond, Jackie became a total oafish Barney Fife cartoon.  I still wish when they rebooted the series, they would've reverted Jackie back to normal. 

Well, Laurie Metcalf was preggars in real life. When it was revealed Jackie was pregnant, Laurie was already showing!  I think it worked for Jackie's character but it was pointless for Dan & Roseanne to have a later-in-life child. Especially considering she was pregnant for nearly 14 months!  

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think they've done slightly better with Jackie but it's still very Barney Fife at times. And she needs her son, or something. Her character is suffering, IMO, from just hanging around and mothering everyone while ignoring her own life. You can only drag that out for so long, lol. 

I'm glad Sara hasn't ruled out Andy like Helford has.

They shouldn't be erasing Season 6 ... 

That's true, I always forget Laurie was pregnant in real life at the time. lol. I thought it was great at the time but then Season 7 rolled around ... 

It was pointless for Dan and Roseanne, but it had at least been a story thread through earlier seasons. I think it'd have been more impactful if they lost it, but I get maybe not wanting to go that dark.

Edited by KMan101

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

He did well! In fact, he got more lines in the live episode than all previous episodes combined! I kid, but not entirely... 

I loved the live episode! It was flawless. No mistakes. There was a few prolonged pauses as they cut between scenes or to commercial break, but nothing noteworthy. 

• Members

The Christmas episode was solid. Loved Becky up late with Dan and the baby. The renewal of that relationship since the overall revival first began feels like healing a deep wound from their very hard rift in the original show.

Still love the scorching hot Jay Ferguson, thrilled Ben and Darlene are back together. Sara Gilbert's subtle comic timing remains perfect.

• Members

I think having Jackie as a mother was an interesting plot point in the original series that didn't get explored enough though I thought Jackie/Fred breaking up was realistic since the two only got together because of the baby.  However, I could see Jackie being an over protective mom because season 2 in the original show had Jackie being a good cook, being attentive, and in her element as a mom type of character.

And I think keeping Andy's existence in this show and not being around could explain why Jackie always hangs out at the Conners... because he choose to be with his father Fred vs her.