"The Conners" Discussion Thread

• Members

I haven't watched the show, really because of one thing.....the picture Roseanne took. can't get past it. but, I have read just a bit about how she and Dan have changed from 20 years ago, due to circumstances and choices. are they really blaming others for their decisions?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yeah, it was season 7 episode 'Sisters'

Roseanne: [Becky and Darlene are sniping at one another] Okay, so that's enough. Now, we have a wonderful, loving family, and you two little bitches are not going to ruin it. You're gonna be loving, caring sisters, just like me and Jackie.

Darlene: Fine.

Darlene: [to Becky] I'll sleep with every guy in town and you can gain 400 pounds.

• Members

I knew I was gay at 10 and fully realized I was gay at 13 when I had a massive crush on one of my male classmates. Damn....he became a doctor too and is even hotter now....LOL

Agreed unless she realized later in life that she was gay. It's not the same for all but her statement isn't necessarily factual.

• Members

I knew I was different from a very young age. I didn't fully process what until I was in my teens. Sometimes it is an awareness from early on but it's much more complicated than that. I find people who say things like "I knew so and so was gay from kindergarten" to be incredibly patronizing and I think people who push and push for litmus tests at very young ages will create changes in society that they will regret (I feel the same way about "born this way" but that's a whole other can of worms). 

• Members

I think what she was meaning is that he hasn't developed his emotional/sexual attraction...

But the too young to be gay comment just sat wrong with me.

All children have a sexuality but this seems to be ignored except by assuming kids are straight.

As a teacher, in a former life, I had colleagues saying things to kids like 'when you have a boyfriend/girlfriend, get married,have children' etc which I found annoying and toxic.

A boy like Mark,who dresses in clothes identified with the opposite gender, may be gay/straight or whatever but to label him by that behaviour is not necessary.

• Members

I finally watched the first two episodes and really, really enjoyed them. The whole group, especially Roseanne and John Goodman, just fell right back into the characters, and the writing for Dan and Roseanne is as close to the original show's heyday as you could possibly get.

Speaking only from my own experience and what I see with the kids I teach on a daily basis (high school, basically all grade levels, so 14-18 years old), it's silly as hell to say that Mark is "too young" to know to what he is emotionally or sexually attracted. If anything, he's too young to know which of the prefab labels he'll feel most comfortable claiming for himself in adolescence and adulthood. I knew I liked boys before I knew what "gay" meant.