Y&R: March 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

+1

I feel you regarding Victoria yesterday with Reed and Zoe.  It felt quite genuine to me, not sure about "fire", but it was one of the AH's better moments for sure.

I was thinking something was different about them, but you're right.  I felt that too.

• Members

I've been watching some episodes from 2001 that were shared in the old Y&R thread and what stuck out to me more than anything (besides better acting and dialogue and direction) was the music. Even the most mundane scene were improved by appropriately dramatic music (I suffered through Victor and Ashley interacting for goodness' sake).

Every scene had music underscoring it. It seems now that the only time we here music is when the show is going to the credits or commercial. Does anyone know of a good reason they've largely eliminated the score? 

Now I feel like I hear the white noise of the studio, it takes me out of the scene and just reminds me this is a television show shot on a set. It doesn't feel immersive. 

• Members

I'm still upset the show won't go back to using some classic scores, even though I guess they can't since Jack Allocco and whoever else owns the rights don't work there anymore.....and I can't picture a classic character like Dina coming back without all those old soapy Y&R scores.

• Members

Well I've been a fan of the show since the start...I haven't found anything remotely interesting about the Lauren and Scott s/l...I just don't feel TB in her acting at all ...I have to say the same for Sharon too.

I also don't get why Gloria was brought back on and I don't even want to get started on Cane I am so not a fan of his as well.

Other than that a lot of scenes and things I saw wrong for a while seems to be picking up.  With the exception if things don't stay stable with certain characters they need to be recast and I won't say who at this moment.

I love Chelsea I don't know how I feel about her and Nick, but not going to lie and say they don't have chemistry cause they do. I did like her with Adam, Justin's version though.

I like Reed and Noah...I know Noah needs to get some spark back but let's not forget he was gone for a while. He is a sweet guy just needs a good story for him.

• Members

I thought they had some chemistry in their love scene.  They are two attractive people so that was no surprise. I also think the actors work well together, but they need some conflict. Of course, nothing will beat JHAdam and Chelsea for me. I thought they had really good love scenes and I love the way they always gave each other a big smile before it started. Kind of like "We know we're just friends and this is a job, so let's do this thing".

• Members

Just 2001? You lightweight!

Please register in order to view this content

I'd go back even further and bring back the background music from the 80s and 90s (which were themselves holdovers from the 70s). Spooky strings that personified either a heart breaking or a psychological break, low brass that seemed to resemble echoes around an old mansion, or that drum/strings combo during tense, payoff scenes that sounded like a pounding heartbeat.

As overdramatic as I have made this background music sound, it never seemed out of place or overwrought on a show noted for quiet soap acting. It added extra layers of emotion that went beyond the dialogue and seemed to hint at the state of minds of the characters themselves. 

For me they elevated the show above mere 'daytime soap opera' to soap noir.

LOL I hear the white noise sometimes, or somebody's suit crackling in the quiet and it is a distraction lol. Though sometimes silence in a scene can add power.

• Members

I completely agree with you...I hate to have that happen...Everytime I love a character they leave? This happened with me with Brad and Malcolm too. Just when I got to loving Adam a lot as Justin took over he leaves ( I wasn't a fan of Adam until Justin played him) I get so upset when that happens. He created more layers to Adam ( which were so lovable and sweet) and with Chelsea they were so "it"...

• Members

Back then I would watch entire scenes or episodes with characters I despised just to listen to the music and enjoy the direction.

Cat, your description was spot on and your definition of "soap noir" was perfect.

• Administrator

Same here - when the show wasn't good, I'd just watch for the directing and background music.  I'm so disappointed that Mal Young didn't change the bg music. It still sounds like JFP's Y&R

• Members

I'm sure MY enjoys working on the show, but if you ask me, I think Y&R needs to replace him as EP.  Who knows?  Perhaps, with someone else producing, a lot of the deficiencies in SS's writing might improve.

Archived