Dallas: Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Warner Archives overseer Daphne Dentz, the senior vice president of emerging formats, mastering, and content, explained their current process. “We are preserving our entire library,” she said. “It doesn’t matter what movie or television show, we will have a digital copy of that within the next many years. Nothing will ever be lost once it becomes digital. I think that we are in a moment in time where we want to restore everything in the library, and every title may not get a full 4k restoration, but it will definitely get a new HD master. And then as soon as that’s available, it’s gonna be in the marketplace.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have never watched more than a few minutes of Dallas at a time - I only became really cognizant of serialized TV right as it was ending - but I'm digging into the several necessary episodes as a precursor to Knots Landing, and wow, Linda Gray is a force. You always hear that Sue Ellen was the weeping drunk opposite J.R. but it's not always so early on, at least. Models Inc. really did not have her measure.

• Members

I think I'll give this a whirl from the start now that I've enmeshed myself in Knots Landing (which I love so far). The Gary/Val episodes of Dallas I watched to prep for Knots were very enjoyable, and it seems like a frothier, at times lighter watch to offset KL. Like many people I've seen bits and pieces of Dallas over the years, but never got into it all the way. I've burrowed through the thread plenty, but if anyone has any other thoughts on the first couple seasons they care to share go nuts.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Thanks for posting this - I never saw it! And how nice to see Victoria Principal participating. I think her comments are spot on - she discussed how Pam became more secondary in her last year of the show and why she felt they shouldn’t have been surprised that she left.

• Members

The first few seasons have many strong moments and are much  more heartfelt than what you will get later on. I will say a lot depends on how much you can take of Larry Hagman/JR - I was not a huge fan, which is why I've never been as into the show. 

• Members

I've felt this for years since seeing her infamous SNL episode and bits of pieces of Dallas throughout my life, but upon seeing multiple full episodes it's official: I have an extremely low tolerance for Charlene Tilton.

• Members

You don't need to spoiler anything for me, lol. The show's been off the air over 30 years. If I want to avoid something I can handle it. I'm probably only going to check out a few seasons anyway - it's fluff to me vs. Knots Landing, which is already quite addictive.

It is painful to see VP/Pam so strong early on when even I know she got mired in a lot of sadsack wife stories later. And did she ever get a major TV role again (or want one)? I wonder if the showrunners at each show have ever reflected on the masculine or feminine driving energies of Dallas vs. KL.

Edited by Vee

• Members

@Vee You’re right, it does have a western feel to it. The earlier years are the best, and take a lot from the movies “Giant & Cat on a hot tin roof.” Pam is the star, of the miniseries, and I wish, it had stayed that way. I like JR, but after having all roads lead to him for so long it gets too repetitive! 

Lucy/Charlene best storyline is her romance with Mickey. I believe the show could have benefited from having Gary around longer, and it probably would’ve changed some things about the show!

Miss Ellie and Sue Ellen are Queens, my main reason for watching as long as I did!

I’m curious to see your feedback on Cliff, one of my favorites, but is like a caged bird imo. They never allowed him to upstaged JR. Anytime you though he did, you were wrong and I hated it.

Unpopular Opinion: After the infamous “Who shot Jr?” Cliffhanger and reveal, I think the show quickly falls into a funk. It’s not one of my favorite seasons, and doesn’t have too much replay value to me.