Longtime characters that have never shared a scene.

• Members

Braeden really respects Flannery and she loves him, so he may have actually done it. Braeden told a story once when Flannery gave a speech at an AFTRA meeting about soap operas and residuals. Flannery lead the charge on getting soap actors residuals for foreign airings of soaps...at the time, though, people were critical of her, so she gave this speech where she said they may need to strike and the room went quiet...so out of nowhere Braeden thunders:

"If she says we're going to strike then we're going to goddamn strike!"

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's a great story, and I wasn't aware of that! I honestly didn't know if they ever spoke that much even if they worked in the same studio....

Now I really wish we got scenes of Victor and Stephanie, we would have gotten to see Victor get slapped by someone for  a change! lol (Besides HT's Victoria) 

• Members

The weird thing Bell's isolation was often criticized but it would often make sense. One case in point is that Victor and Christine never had a scene together until 1995 she was a lawyer helping out Nick's case but did they have any reason to interact beforehand?  In a sense I liked it although in a sense if you're watching Days or the P&G soaps at the same time I could understand why some didn't understand it. Otherwise we would have had Katherine and Mary Williams sit down for coffee and gossip about the latest Abbott family drama. 

• Members

But why would they be feuding? LOL Victor and Stephanie, especially when properly written, would be very polite and have a healthy dose of respect for each other. They'd recognize each other's fierce determination and devotion to family (even if that later on was bastardized).

Going off of what you and everyone else has been saying, the so-called 'isolation' made perfect sense. Bell's Y&R had a strong sense of metropolis society. When was the last time you walked straight into a billionaire's office on the top of a skyscraper without knowing him to ask for a favor? We'd be lucky to get through security on the first floor

Please register in order to view this content

And, yet, many soaps, much as I love the large community feeling, had absolutely no sense of the boundaries, position and differences that still govern our society, whether we agree with them or not.

I mostly loved that there was a large number of characters that either never met or only knew others by name/reputation. It made sense. And when unexpected characters did come into each others' orbit, it was exciting!

Ew!

"Mass" character interaction, though? Do you remember any specifics of what they said?

• Members

Victor & Brooke were a lot of fun together. Even if she was young enough to be his granddaughter.

Before Dynasty/Dallas most soaps were set in small towns where it made sense that most characters knew each other. Even 70s & early 80s Y&R was like that.

Once Y&R became business oriented it made sense that characters were stratified. And it allowed for interesting stories to bring characters together like Jack and Lauren, Brad and Neil, Diane and Michael, Drucilla & Danny, Olivia and Victoria, Rex and Leanna, Jill and Larry, Cassandra and Victor, Katherine and Mamie, Cole and Nina, Grace and Tricia, etc.

• Members

Y & R is big on seperate stories...but I liked that once in awhile Bill Bell would have 2 characters interact randomly and a new story was born..

nikki and victor...it was 1.5 years after victor came on before they met.

Ashley/victor didnt start to interact till ashley had been on the shoe for about 3 years.

Nina/ryan/victoria....nina and ryan met one night..had a one night stand...then nina/victoria met at ryans graduation..

• Members

Haha I guess it's my wishful thinking Stephanie wouldn't be too fond of Victor, maybe because he and Brooke tried to make Ridge jealous in front of Taylor, but they probably would show lots of respect for each other...

to change gears a little, on GH have Ava and Maxie had scenes together? I know that's random but I'm just curious...

• Members

BTW when I was trying to think of P&G soaps and what not I really draw a blank on Frank and Blake ever interacting too much in the course of twenty years over at GL? Certainly they interacted for such things like Blake getting shot by Ross(maybe not even then, I remember Annie as Terri doing the questioning) and the Springfield Burns stuff but other than that seems like nothing until becoming a couple in the show's final weeks in their online correspondence. 

• Members

At least when it came to Rafe, that annoyed me that he was never really brought into the Spaulding fold and was isolated. Still thought it was stupid that he wasn't put against James once James started pursuing Daisy. 

I never cared for Natalia. I wanted that b-tch dead on sight. I never got the hype when it came to her.

• Members

Considering how much time Frank spent on the backburner (and really, did he truly have a story after Melina Kanakaredes left?) , and the fact Blake was MIA a lot after Ross' death...it's still a little surprising, but not quite as much.

*fist bump*

• Members

soapfan770  regarding Frank and Blake. They dated in the 90s when Sherry was in the role. The characters even had sex at the Meals and Wheels. In an episode including on a SoapClassics set, we see them discuss why their relationship would never work and they'd be better off as friends. (This is the same day that Alex confronts Roger at the Lakeland Country Club.) Blake and Frank's friendship continued until mid-1995 and McTavish became head writer and Frank went into the police academy and Blake became obsessed with babies. Before that time, Blake was working for Frank and David's PI office to get the certified hours as a private eye. Once Harley returned full time in 97, Blake tended only to see Frank via Harley. 

Archived