Longtime characters that have never shared a scene.

• Members

Since I'm only a Y&R and DOOL watcher, I wouldn't be familiar with other soap characters but feel free to discuss because this is an interesting topic to me. I always wondered what long time soap characters (they could be on the show anytime from 10-20 years) and still have never shared scenes, and if they have it's been VERY minimal. 

Jill and Sharon come to mind for me. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nothin'ButAttitude's right, Bob and John did help her when her face was all old. But Carly's interaction with the Hughes' was minimal. I swear to God, Carly didn't have a scene with Nancy until December '04, (Nancy got Jack to play Santa just after his memory had returned, Carly ended up as his helper elf or something, and they talked.)

Carly was on the show for 13 years (15 if you count from her start in '95).

• Members

Great topic!

Regarding Jill and Sharon, the only time that comes to mind right now is during Katherine's classic Chancellor estate party in 1998. I want to say they exchanged a line or two, and of course Sharon was there for the big freakout, but I'd have to go back to check. Other than that, Jill was probably at Crimson Lights the same time Sharon was but that would be in the minimal category again.

• Members

Y&R is the most obvious of this, as plenty of characters past and present have flat out never share scenes/or had minimal interaction....The isolation always is fascinating though, really sometimes there is no reason for people to be involved in other's stories.....unless there are huge parties like yes Katherine's Party in 1998, and the Masquerade Ball of 1991, which sticks out as one of the only times Sheila was in the same scene with all the core Y&R characters, LOL.....

I guess looking at the last few years, I admit I wish Adam had interaction with Katherine before she died.....It kind of bugs me that they were so into Victor and Adam's never ending saga (when Muhney was in the role),that  Katherine as Victor's so called BFF never stepped in to intervene....not that Victor would listen, but it could have made things more bearable.....

Nick and Sharon never shared scenes with Jill, or Katherine all that much....It was actually nice to see Sharon and Esther interact a bit recently....

• Members

On GH, did Bobbie and Brenda ever share a scene?  Or Tony and Brenda?  I don't recall Tony sharing a scene with Jax either.

When I was younger, I was so used to Monty's GH, where most characters were connected and shared scenes.  Even someone like Ruby was connected to most of the canvas because everyone went to Kelly's.  When I would watch other soaps, especially Y&R and Days, often it seemed like characters were in storyline bubbles or clusters and did not interact outside of that.  

• Members

Very true - I happened to love Bill Bell's style with characters isolated in their own lives - that's how real life works and it made Genoa City feel bigger, as if we were watching multiple worlds, rather than one. For years in the 1990s Jill and Katherine didn't interact with anyone else aside from Victor, Nikki, John Silva, Mamie, Esther, Jack and John. 

Some unlikely to share scene pairings from Y&R:

Brad and Katherine 

Ashley and Sharon 

Jill and Sharon 

Katherine and Drucilla

Jill and Olivia (except when Billy almost died in the snow)

Jack and Olivia

John and Sharon, Nick, Victoria, Drucilla, Neil, Malcolm etc etc etc - John Abbott was an island unto himself!

Archived