Minority Report: Diversity on Soaps

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

GH hired two black leading men? Where? I see no blacks in lead positions. The show has actually regressed. Jordan played a bigger role earlier in the year and is now barely seen. TJ? Nowhere to be seen. B+? The show gets a C- and thats only bc there are people of color in town, even if they dont amount to anything significant

B&B. That show made a real effort. The Avants are a legitimate family and have staked their place in B&B history. They fit and dont feel forced. They also happen to be the best part of a mostly awful show. Maya is not only black and transgender but she's been lead actress and thats soemthing I thought Id ever see on this soap. IA with the score here.

• Members

ugh the GH a** licking........so they hired 2 new AA roles the END of the year, yet he felt the need to grade them above Y&R (which I will say is no where near perfect either, but they at least HAD a black story no matter how degrading it was)

B&B gets the highest grade though I would give them a solid B+....

• Members

DAYS deserved a huge F, considering Abe's only "story" was squinting twice at Lani before he casually told her at the Ugly Dress party that "hey, I see you're my daughter", then disappearing again, plus the gay cull which was glaringly obvious and offensive. I'll give them some credit for the Hernandez stuff, but they've definitely done more harm than good this year to their score, in my eyes.

• Members

Galen "I play Latino characters because it pays the bills" Gering does not count as diversity. Did they showcase any cultural traditions?

I have that problem when people use GH's Sonny as an example of diversity. Sonny isn't remotely in touch with his Cuban heritage at all despite being raised mostly by his Cuban mother and growing up with her traditions. And then all his kids are white.

Archived