Glenn Beck Hires Soap Vet

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Glenn Beck is a right-wing radio talk show host and author who was too cray-cray even for Fox News, who dumped him AND his show back in 2011 over his typically incendiary (and often inflammatory) commentaries.  I think he's living in a bunker these days, but don't quote me on that.

• Members

Unless she was at GL in the early/mid-90s I don't think she had much to do with its real demise. And I don't think the show felt especially right-wing in its last few years - you had focus on faith, but you also had women going around buying vibrators, a woman had an abortion and wasn't damned for it, etc. If anything the show felt a lot more like GL to me in its last year, even while hugely flawed, than it had in a long time. With that said, the show did have a weird feel, and I guess that fits Beck, who is a very confusing type of fringe player. FreedomWorks is also in that category. They aren't exactly the Fuckabee types, but Beck's apocalyptic con jobs always left a bad taste in my mouth. I think he's claimed to have seen some of the error of his ways the last few years, but I still could never support someone like him, or anyone who works for him. 

It was obvious that she had views that I likely would not agree with in my own life. The reason that bashing bothered me when it came to her was that the same soap "press" who hated her for being LDS were fine with men and women who were just as toxic and destructive, if not moreso, but more "hip" or "cool." The nonstop attempts at the time to try to act like MAB or Guza or Pratt were of a superior breed got on my last nerve, and felt like some sort of bizarre elitism, rather than genuine criticism of her work.

The only genuine criticism of her work came from places like here.

• Members

I just feel Wheeler tried what she thought would work. It just didn't, but like Carl said, she was just a small cog in the wheel that got GL cancelled. She inherited a mess, and tried, very unsuccessfully to make a piss-poor budget work on the once grand Guiding Light. I think, from many of her interviews over the years, that this will be a quick stop at the old ATM before moving on to things she actually believes in.

Archived