Carlivati vs Logan!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Frank is a skilled budgeter, but he often goes for "peppy and cheap" for production, and "faster, more intense" in terms of any kind of directing. He also likes to direct and is allegedly very hands-on, even when he's not actively directing an episode. The word has always been that he likes it big, but I don't know how true that is, I only know what I watch.

I know he instituted the shorter and shorter scenes starting on OLTL around late 2007. At first the editing would dovetail carefully, knitting themes or stories together, but now it usually goes off of paralleling lines of dialogue or story turns, and is more about effect than telling stories with any kind of reasonable pace. Supposedly it was FV who made the call that the youth demos would go up with shorter, snappier scenes, and for a long time their numbers allegedly bore that out. But I never liked it, and now the editing is merely too clever while the actual scenes are too short, the stories too rushed and the characters too superficial and thin. The bloom is off the rose.

There have been rumors that Frank - who cast a lot at OLTL - has stepped in a lot at GH vs. Mark Teschner. Given NuDillon, Nathan, etc. I can certainly believe it (and Ryan Paevey's a charming guy, but he should not have this level of story).

• Members

The show looked more expensive when Jill Phelps was exec producer. I will say this about Jill she makes any show look very expensive. Frank I don't see going anywhere he's loved by ABC and the cast loves him. Honestly I wouldn't be shocked if Gary Tomlin joins GH. If Frank left I guarantee Gary would be the new EP

• Members

I don't care what Frank did at OLTL. He's not doing a good job at GH. Even Gloria Monty got axed on her second run at GH because she wasn't doing a good job. I don't recognize or like this show. It's a hodge podge of out of work soap actors portraying characters that absolutely have no depth. There is no respect for history or even common sense. It's time for a new show runner. Or cancel the soap. It's beyond time.

• Members

RUBBISH! A skilled budgeter can buy at a bargain w/out looking cheap. GH looks cheap. GH is cheap! Frank squanders budget money to hire friends and men in tight pants when they add nothing to the show. Keep stanning for that rancid duo! His job is to produce a quality show and keep his HW in line. NONE of that is happening!

Both can go and take that maggot, Varni, with them!

• Members

Frank's primary budgeting skill involves 'keeping the show on the air,' not necessarily making it look good while doing so. (Though it looks better than DAYS)

As always, Chit, there is a vast gulf of difference between 'stanning' for these people vs. evaluating their massive issues rationally as opposed to hyperbolically. There's plenty they [!@#$%^&*] up without my having to invent anything. If we can't acknowledge either what they did right in the past or the issues surrounding them, we can't properly damn them for what they've done all by themselves.

Frank kept his shows on the air when ABC wanted them dead, and he did so through careful cost-cutting - that's a fact. He also turned them cheap, peppy, loud and deeply messy, superficial and scattershot over time - that's a fact. These facts are not mutually exclusive, they're just not always convenient. None of that means I think the way he's currently producing GH is right.

• Members

He hasn't been any type of hottie since sometime last decade. And I doubt they give a [!@#$%^&*] about him. If he goes they'd just hope they stay on the air.

That's partly because they had a bigger budget, but Frank does make shows look cheap and tacky. Much like his casting and choice in writers.

Archived