Y&R: May 2015 Discussion Thread

• Members

This is Pratt's writing. As Mariah got to know her family under the last writers, she was maturing. Camryn isn't blonde and doesn't look underweight, so Chuckles is s hitting all over her.

Again, this is the writing, not the actress.She should have an age appropriate boyfriend(not past pedo, 39 for five years now, Kevin...)

If Kevin should be paired with anyone, it's Harding or a returning Chavez...IS and GR had awesome chemistry...

Do you have something personal against CG? because it comes off like that...I'd like to see HK or RA improve. I feel as though HK just sleepwalks through the role. As for MO, she'd be great as a sidekick in a remake BJ and the Bear, but she isn't strong enough for a daytime part. She's a step above Hayley Erin (former Abby, now on GH), but as anyone can tell you, that's not saying much.

Killer Griller Thriller Filler Miller is neither needed or wanted. David Tom got f ucked over by JFP. BJ is an okay actor, but I would have cast him as a different character, not Billy. There are plenty of roles he could have been hired for, this isn't one of them. David Tom's rapport with Jess Walton, Peter Bergman, Beth Maitland, Eileen Davidson, Jerry Douglas brought Billy back to the fold as an Abbott. Now, Billy is like an outsider. He has no chemistry with AH, and he looks like he could be Chelsea's Dad.

Dullan is better with Sharon, but I hope no one's counting on a red hot love scene, Burton's wife won't allow thattongue.pngtongue.png

Still don't get why Neil would side with Victor over Jack. The reason Neil left Victor's employ was because he could never go further in the company. Nikki should have seen that bright red flag when Victor asked her to sign those papers after the fact.....whistling.jpgwhistling.jpgwhistling.jpg

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't even know why folks are arguing about characters when the writing is horrible. It was mediocre for the past 2.5 years or so but now it's slipped a notch lower than mediocre to just being abysmal.

Most people agree that BJ is miscast. Y&R, I guess, hearing the complaints of DT looking too young decided to go with someone who could never be confused with youth of any sort.

People can whine about Mariah or even Summer all they/we want but the fact remains that if the writing were worth a damn, Mariah could have been a young Nina or a young Lauren. Summer is reminiscent of a poor man's Brittany Hodges.

Y&R is incapable of writing a Mac or a Traci these days, so unless Y&R gets some writers who know how to write complexity, I doubt we'll see anyone resembling a young Traci, Mac or even a Nina type ever again on this show. Hell, they can't even write for Traci now!

Seeing people argue over who's worth their salt is like seeing people fight over table scraps of the worst rotten meat. Not trying to sound mean but are folks really that desperate?

I know it's a messageboard and all but aren't people tired of these same old fights? What about actual storylines? Content of the show? Writing? Lighting? Sound?

Does anyone think it was a piss poor move to have Chelsea getting her makeup done for her wedding in the same lobby where the wedding was to occur, sitting their like a performance kabuki artist before a show?

Does anyone think Chuck Pratt sounds reminiscent of Chris Goutman years before ATWT got cancelled? Or is it just me?

• Members

There is so much wrong with the show, DD, that's for sure. I was like WTF with the makeup scene...?Devon hooks back up with Hillary after she slept with Winston???? I understand Christine and losing the baby making her so upset, but what about the last several years? Cricket was the person who saw the good in people and fought against the bad things that happened to good people. Now she marches around screaming and barking at people. Paul was written much smarter before he became a police officer...dumbed down to look like a PCPD cop on GH, unable to solve cases.

Nikki's a drunk,,she's not, she is, she's telling Neil how she neve4r wants a drink...Victoria/Grandpa Billy are a waste of airtime.

The glaring problem with the show is the characters that aren't there. Traci would never have let so many things happen without coming to town to help her family. JILL FOSTER ABBOTT ...A dynamic, well drawn character with ties to everyone on the canvas is barely on, and when she is, she's wasted!!!! No one is at Chancellor anymore, Cane(not a favorite) would never have left Chancellor so soon after starting. I know he's not popular here, but Tristan Rogers as Colin should be mixing it up as well. He gets as much time as Esther these days. Michael and the hooker...please...

Yep. lots wrong...but her royal highness JFP knows what she's doing...decimating another long glorious show....

• Members

I just watched Friday's show and it was terrible in so many ways. Too much shock and awe and way too little continuity.

Fake Jack in a car accident, clinging to life in the hospital. The hospital set is getting way too much air time. Characters in general are sick or hurt too often and bounce back much too fast. Recently, there was the plane crash where Hillary was "crushed" and near death, Avery pushed Joe out a window and he's paralyzed, Connor was treated for smoke inhalation and had an eye problem scare, Fake Jack car accident as mentioned, cabin kids poisoned and Austin and Courtney dead, Michael has cancer, Nikki and Neil plowed into Christine killing her baby, Nikki and Neil both suffering relapses of alcoholism, collapsing of Underground casualties there and I'm sure I'm missing something. Punching, stabbing, slapping, meaningless yucky sex that's our show these days.

On Friday US, Lily happened to be creeping around the GCAC hotel corridors and saw a woman she decided was prostitute - based on a three second conversation she saw one side of - leaving Michael's room. So she called the police and instead of putting her on hold for 30 minutes and telling her to piss off fill out a report online the police sent a patrol car speeding over there lights flashing and arrested the prostitute and Michael. Riiiiight. In another implausible storyline, Victor and Neil team up to forge Jack's signature on a contract that supposedly okays the merger between Jabot and Newman then sucker Nikki into "witnessing" Jack's fake signature even thought he's in a coma and everyone knows it. Because that's the way things are done in corporations. They don't get lawyers to handle billion dollar mergers, they print up a Word document on their desk top and get the two CEOs to sign off. 'kay.

In the preview for tomorrow's show, Neil punches Billy.

• Members

Lily playing keystone cop was ridiculous. For all she knew said hotel guest (Michael) could have been getting a mani/pedi as part of a secret spa-day. She could've identified herself as with hotel management and followed and asked the woman what her business at the hotel was, or she could have respected the guests' privacy and let it go.

I agree that the writing is jamming a lot of forced plot through storyline holes as wide as the Grand Canyon.

As for Neil, I guess this is Y&R's answer to making him a more relevant character-- to turn him into a ruthless, foul tempered, plotting poor man's Junior Victor Newman. We'll see how long that lasts.

I also understand that

• Members

Burgess Jenkins is the worst recast in television history. Bring back Billy Miller or David tom or someone who actually is the same age and looks and acts like Billy Abott. If Burgess Jenkins was such a good actor he would be able to be somewhat believable as billy and he is not. He is totally different character with the same name.

• Members

If they want to build this show on young, rough-born strivers again, they could do worse than focusing in on Mariah and Hillary (who is too much woman for Devon in the long run, IMO). Summer can offset them as the teen queen dream who already has it all. Let Jill mentor one of the two and someone else mentor the other and go from there. Mariah can even stir Jill's wrath - a la Jill and Katherine - by bedding one of her relatives.

Gina Tognoni is incredible as Phyllis and I love her and Jack, but Gina alone can't run the canvas, and Pratt's vision of poor Sharon as a bi-weekly nutcase is even more aggravating than the last few years. Trying to leash this show's future to the same old stuff with mumbling Victor, helpless Jack, idiot Nick and wacky Sharon circling each other forever with a few meandering partners (Dylan, Avery, etc.) is a waste of time. Be bold.

• Members

Catching up on the last 2 weeks

Ignoring the whole idiotic doppelganger plot (Cady McClain freaking sucks BTW), I'm loving the Jabot/Newman office drama. Ashley/Victor & Victoria are especially fun to watch. I'm glad they're writing Victoria as the nasty business wench she was born to be (even though Amelia Heinle is a beige wall) and are playing up her feuds with Ash and Chelsea. I love the way they're writing Ashley and Victor too, I don't want them back together but I do love when they're in each others orbits because EB and ED have such great chemistry.

Stich and Abby are so blah though, he's more than worn out his welcome and she is just not cut out for romance.

Old Man Billy's wedding exposure was hilarious. Poor Chelsea, I'm ready for her & Adam/Gabe to get together already

SO happy Sage and Nick are over! She's another one who just needs to exit stage left. Faith giving her hell is hilarious though

No1curr about Joe and his wheelchair woes either, but I really dig Dylan and Sharon together. I hate that they have had her caught up in this stupid Cabin Patch Kids murder plot but this pairing has made it worth it.

I'm glad they've given Summer and Kyle some problems, they were so rushed and boring before. I mean they're still boring, but at least now they've got legit issues.

Mariah wub.png I wish she wasn't stuck to Kevin's annoying ass hip, CG deserves better. She cracked me up in that one scene where Abby and Summer were fighting and Mariah's just standing there getting her jollies.

Can they make Noah bipolar

I wish they had remodeled The Underground or gotten rid of it, what an ugly useless set.

The Winter's have become so irrelevant its sad, they're barely even on 2 days a week now that Pratt's in the building. Do not care about this Lily/Cane/Lauren/Michael development but Hevon wub.png I hope Hillary can be shown out of that orbit though, she'd work great a little deeper in the midst of this Jabot drama instead of just dropping papers off. Glad Kristoff ditched the depressed homeless man look and got a line up and haircut.

These episodes actually weren't that much of a chore to get through, a lot of these stories are just downright stupid and rushed though. Pratt still needs to be headed out the door and quickly.

• Members

What was the point of "someone" framing Sharon for the murders? The real killer is still out there, she's now been cleared of the charges so what the hell was it's purpose?!?!?

Just to highlight how bonkers she's supposed to be? wacko.png

• Members

I love when Victor goes in on Old Man Billy laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png Neil punching the bastard was just the cherry on top

WHY does Neil always get to get a taste of the new hot young ethnic chick? WHY are they wasting Gwen on him and WHY are he and Devon sharing yet another love interest?

I'm glad Hillary and Devon told Neil the truth, I did not feel like suffering months and months of them hiding their relationship

Nikki continues to be a mess, I'm pretty much over this same song and dance with her and Victor. Let's get her a new storyline with some uppity socialites or something.

Chadam wub.png

• Members

It created the foundation for Sharon/Dullard and I'm OK with that. It was a good way to break Dullard from Avery and allow her to go to Joe. I don't really have an issue with it because if we're going to get SB for the next year.... And for those complaining - keep in mind that a year ago, Avery, the lawyer who was out helping those wrongly convicted, gave it all up for some ridiculous streaming COOKING SHOW! That one still blows my mind - let's take a successful, smart woman and throw her into the kitchen. What??? I do like Jessica Collins and, like Sharon Case, she is always 'there.'

• Members

But they were friends way before that, there was already a foundation. She had recently lost custody of Faith and he was the only one there to support her, after she told Noah and Mariah to take a hike.

He is better with Sharon. So that's good.

I still don't think that part of the "story" was needed.

Archived