Y&R: April 2015 Discussion Thread

• Members

Grimes also won an Emmy, and hers was for actually acting, not walking around simpering and whining incessantly day in and day out.

I don't see how age comes into play. How is HK's career more successful than CG's. I haven't seen HK in any big screen box office successes. I did see CG, although it was a small role. Chuck Pratt's uneven writing aside, I'm glad Mariah has not been on much. Her character isn't being ruined like the rest of the cast.

HK needs an acting coach onset ASAP. She's not going to be able to get by on her looks forever. Then again, it's not like they can fire her...ph34r.pngph34r.pngwhistling.jpgwhistling.jpgwhistling.jpg

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I wonder why too when the word GREAT is mentioned when it comes to CG's acting. I think I posted some months back if she's so great, why hasn't some primetime show hired her. I think she's a good actress, and better than HK but she isn't great.

• Members

It's telling when a soap discussion board is more focused on the actors talent (or lack thereof in HKs case) than the story. Chuckies smoke and mirrors act is getting old.

IA it's good Mariah has been spared from his poison pen.

• Members

The last few weeks Mariah was on (before she disappeared) all she did was follow Summer and Abby around snapping at them. Austin was Summer's husband and Abby's lover. Fen spiked the punch and has a major crush on Summer, so he hated Austin. Kevin was needed because he's a hacker. But Mariah was just hanging around snapping. That's great acting?

• Members

Consider the writing. I hate to say it, but at least Jean Passanante wrote the character well. She gave her (and other characters ) layers. Now the characters are husks of who they were and everything is done in a flash. They are cartoons, from Victor to Yack to Helly to Sag.

AH as angry Victori a is painful. Crabby is a slut. Cane (one of my least favorite characters) suddenly doesn't want anything to do with Chancellor...Okay... Sharon has been decimated for the 800th time, and will now be performing with gun toting Dullan??????? I'm hardly a Dullan fan, but even I prefer him without being written as Anger Boy...the character Chuckles wrote for on GH. Phyllis should be smart enough to know whose penis she's playing with. As for Avery, I truly believe that absolutely no writer knows how to write for her. Her character has gone through more changes in a short time, she's basically a different character every two weeks. As for Fred Sanford Michael, this story was a crapfest from the start. As someone that has been around many people in my family/friends/etc. that have had cancer, this story is written so hammy, CLB is just....no words.

Chuckles is at least mixing up characters, I will say that for him, but that's not enough to make the show watchable.

• Members

Good luck at the Emmys to all Y&R nominates. Congrats to the great Ray Wise for his Emmy win.

On a side note. I just read at DC how very close DOOL came to being cancelled a couple of years back. DC posted some of the hacked Sony emails between NBC executives (including Chelsea Handler's ex boyfriend). They wanted to cancel DOOL and replace it with a talk show. Sony had to fight very hard to keep Days on the air. It's a very interesting read.

• Members

Some folks need to pick exactly what it is that they supposedly don't like about CG and stick to it, for heaven's sake. First, it was her looks--that she wasn't attractive enough. That myth was dispelled and suddenly it's her acting chops. Uh-mm...okay.whistling.jpgrolleyes.gif

The writing on this show is particularly bad right now, and that's quite an accomplishment, as it's been poor to questionable for about 7 years now. Some people have said they need to get rid of CG, others say JW, which I take issue with. There may be some actors that the show needs to divest itself of, but those two aren't the ones.

This is the same show that failed to properly utilize Tricia Cast, David Tom, Heather Tom, Don Diamont and half the new generations of Abbotts but we trust them to write well for Mariah and judge her for craptastic stories she's been in. Uh-hmm...okay.whistling.jpg

And by the way, I like HK but she had no business taking home that Emmy last year. Kelly Missal should've won and I say this as someone who only started watching OLTL after ATWT was cancelled and had had no interest in the show prior to it's last two years on ABC and its one season on Hulu.

• Members

Well I'm going to just say why I feel CG is playing second banana to MO and HHK and mariah stuck in an asexual pairing with pervy Kevin. CG is not a thin or buxom blonde bombshell. And apparently that's how Pratt likes them. It's not about talent or lack thereof. It's not about marketability or even the focus groups. Pratt has admitted he writes what he likes and wants to see. Apparently CG doesn't fit the bill.

And my jaw dropped at this poorly veiled attempt to bait posters over CG. What in the world...are folks still living in 2008. Phick vs Shick is deader than Noah's hippie bride! Get over it.

• Members

Mariah's a better actress than Heather King but I don't get all the hype. She's not likable onscreen and she's too whiny. Kelley Missal > Camryn Grimes > Heather King

Kelly Sullivan was horrific on GH and I think she's OK on Y&R. It helps that Sage isn't a complete cartoon and that Justin Hartley makes anyone watchable. He has good chemistry with everyone. Steve Burton sucked the life out of GH whenever he was on but he's better here. His scenes with Sharon weren't bad. It was kinda nice how he was a contrast to all of Sharon's melodrama.

Justin Hartley and Lachlan Buchanan are both still gorgeous!

Eric Braeden is still lucky to have a job. So is Christel Khalil.

And I still love Kelly (and the fabulous Cady McClain)!

• Members

I've always liked Hunter King - I think she's genuinely talented, was underused early in her run when nobody paid enough attention to her, and then began taking (and still takes) too much heat from deranged housewives over allegedly being "responsible" for Michael Muhney getting the boot. What happened to Muhney was on Muhney, it's not the fault of that young woman. But putting her in very busy story front and center, first in that rushed romance with the beautiful plank of wood playing Austin and now in this I Know What You Did Last Summer ripoff, is not a good way to utilize her or her burgeoning talent. She needs more time with better actors and less histrionic material. She needs to be used strategically as opposed to trying to overload her.

Camryn Grimes, OTOH, has been trained since a very young age and knows exactly what she's doing now. IMO she's better than both the actors playing her parents and most of the other key stars currently featured on the show. She reminds me a lot of how Susan Haskell started out on OLTL. She should be featured in that youth canvas like Tricia Cast's heyday and instead she's relegated to the corner with Creepy Aunt Kevin.

• Members

Vee, you gotta stop posting such sensible posts, you're going to give people the wrong impression ;) Seriously, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Yeah, and like ajsp35801, I don't know why all of a sudden there are bait posts trying to get people riled up, using CG/Mariah and HK/Summer to try to recreate the Sharon vs. Phyllis wars. I don't have any interest in that either. At the risk of sounding rude, I hear they love that sort of thing on some other boards (*coughs* soapcentral), maybe anyone interested in that should take it there.

• Members

I never said CG wasn't a good actress. The point I was making was if she was the tremendous actress some poster claimed she was, her career would have been a lot more successful. I don't think she is a better actress than HK by any means. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think CG is plain. I think MO (Abby), HK (Summer), SC (Sharon) and JC (Avery) are all classic beauties. CK and GT are exotic beauties. Again, this is my opinion.

Archived