Days - Fan Favorite returns?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have no issue if Reckell is brought back for the 50th as I was expecting some people to visit. My biggest issue with the character of Bo is how, he and nearly every other male character that was on in the 80s became a deadbeat father. Bo coming back and interacting with Ciara is what is needed. I don't need Bo and Hope to reunite.

• Members

I don't know what I need for Bo (aside from interacting with his kids and relatives, of course) -- and that's my problem. If Reckell were to return permanently, he would have to swallow his pride and (as I suggested up thread...I think) play a supporting role in others' dramas. Otherwise, what can you do with someone who's been everywhere and done everything including being a brainwashed mime?

And that's ANOTHER issue I have with DAYS: this show needs to re-domesticate itself, for lack of a better word, and return to smaller, simpler stories, which it has done for the most part. But, to be perfect and frank, it's ridiculous to see certain characters go back to being mixed up in relatively more human and relatable situations when they've been killed off and brought back from the dead MULTIPLE times, kidnapped MULTIPLE times (and often by the same OTT, inhuman supervillain), brainwashed into thinking they were mimes and princesses and jewel thiefs and priests and militaristic henchmen, buried alive, possessed by the devil, etc. I mean, no matter how juicy the circumstances might be at the moment, you keep expecting people to whisk themselves away to some fictional, tropical locale, or go on the hunt for some lost treasure...such as an elephant figurine.

That's why TomSell's failures in regards to introducing new characters and SORASing other ones are particularly glaring to me. They had an opportunity to reset DAYS' tone but they blew it with good, old-fashioned, weak writing.

• Members

They're not super couples. I think they had some aspects of it, but it wasn't the same as those in 1982-1992. Carrie and Austin got Reilly's generic "destined to be together" writing. Shawn and Belle was Corday's baby. He thought fans would automatically root for them just because they were the son and daughter of two real super couples. It's hard to explain really, but the super couple thing was a certain formula that was used during the years Al Rabin was EP.

No.

You are the first normal soap fan I have seen refer to EJami and WilSon as super couples. That's usually something only their rabid stans do.

• Members

I guess that's a bad thing?

You might have a point, Sindacco, about the super couple formula being more pronounced during the Al Rabin era, when the show was cranking 'em out in almost factory-like precision. Things might have slowed down since those days (HA!). Make no mistake, though, we still have characters in 2015 who are not allowed to be anything more than one-half of a love-against-all-odds pairing. They aren't really allowed to develop lives outside the relationship and whatever airtime they get, the majority of it is spent on whatever [!@#$%^&*] is going down right now in that relationship.

• Members

Having Daniel though be the male "center" of the show is something I find problematic. For me a super couple is a couple that is extremely popular and their problems are "external" more than "internal"...meaning "you and me against the world"... EJami and WilSon don't apply to either of those... Having a story is different than being the story, and most actors don't want to just be the guy pouring beer at the Brady Pub. (Bo IMO as an older character should be more like a better looking Johnny Ryan from Ryan's Hope not a younger Grandpa Shawn Brady)

• Members

I find Daniel being the "center" of ANY show problematic as well. At best, he's a supporting player who is being made to take on far too much importance. But I really want to say, bl, is how much I love your definition of "supercouple" -- and you're right, when you view it through that lens, the term doesn't apply to EJami or to WilSon. So, on that earlier point, I stand corrected.

• Members

I still find the decision to put Daniel/Shawn Christian in such a central position so bizarre.

I actually don't mind him (or didn't, prior to 2012 or so) as a supporting player. He's an okay actor, he's objectively good-looking and in good shape (if they'd give him a damn haircut), he has good friend chemistry with plenty of the other actors. He's adequate. He should be the kind of character that, say, AMC's Aiden was -- always kind of around, there as a backup romantic pairing to keep female characters busy in-between bigger things, etc. I just cannot conceive of how or why a decision was made to shove him into the center of the Days universe. It's not even like he really caught fire as part of a romantic pairing or was one of those characters who was a lot of fun at first and then just became an annoying drag, a la AMC's Greenlee or someone like that. He was just sort of there, and he kept being there, and then he was connected to a thousand characters and everyone was telling us how awesome he was, and almost every other male lead was being minimized as he took on a bigger and bigger role. It's truly insane.

• Members

+1 million to this. Peter Reckell thinks he really matters. And the truth is he doesn't. Anyone who buys his "spend time with my family" crap is kidding themselves. He wanted Bo to be front and center in an A Storyline, when Bo hadn't been compelling on his own for 20 years, and he didn't want to take a pay cut. The actors on DAYS, for decades, per Louise Sorel, were the highest paid cast in the business, even the lowest on the totem pole got paid more than they would at the other soaps, simply because Ken Corday, with all his faults, is actually quite generous. But oh, Peter Reckell wasn't in the mood to take a cut when he was told to.

He's played the public so badly in the last couple of years he gets what he deserves. If that's a recurring role, he should only be so thankful.

• Members

Bo has been recast before, so why are they so dead set on saving the character for PR? Heck, dye his hair and make Robert Newman the new Bo. Or [insert favorite soap actor not currently on TV]. Really. I went through kindergarten and 1st grade thinking of Bo being no one other than Robert Kelker-Kelly. (Not that I don't like Reckell... I prefer him. But c'mon.)

Archived