Days - Fan Favorite returns?

• Members

I'd be okay with Bo returning and reuniting with Hope, but not if it means putting the two through more of the same. (Same goes for Patch/Kayla, John/Marlena, Jack/Jennifer and just about every other supercouple.) Bo and Hope are supposed to have matured beyond the supercouples stuff. (Again, same goes for the others.) Let them take a backseat to the drama of their children and grandchildren, the way Doug and Julie had to take one for theirs -- after all, that's how soaps are supposed to work, Petey baby -- and if PR has issues with THAT, then take them up with the writers, who SORASed his and Hope's offspring too damn soon.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This!

I get that not everyone are fans of the supercouples but there are some points I want to bring up.

1. DAYS stopped with the supercouple formula in the early 90s. Jack and Jennifer was the last supercouple created. Ken Corday has, since at least 1999, made so many commets about that being then and this is now.

2. If the problem is all these older couples from the 80s, why are only the male halves blamed for it? John, Bo, Jack, Steve, Justin.

3. I keep seeing these comments about how Marlena, Hope, Jennifer, Kayla, Adrienne, are better off without the men. But how so? What has Hope done since Bo left? She spent the first year being a cop and the second year selling cookies with Aiden until one day he talked about his dead wife and they went to have sex, where's the story? Jennier was for a long time brought down by Daniel, she has had some good recent stuff with Abby, JJ and Eve. Marlena and Kayla haven't done anything special, they have had decent supporting roles in other character's storylines, which they still could have had with John and Steve around. It was the same with Adrienne until this recent forced thing with Lucas.

4. If you want to get rid of the supercouples, or the male characters from them, why not at least do it with a good storyline that has a satisfying ending? Bo's exit was awful. Steve and Kayla got no exit, SN and MBE didn't even know it was their last scenes until after. Kayla came back and broke up with Steve over the phone. John was written extremely out of character when he planned to sleep with Kristen, he treated Marlena like an ass, then left Salem, came back, was put in a coma, left again and recently came back. Justin just stopped appearing after Will and Sonny's wedding and was gone for almost a year. Jack's death was a joke. After like a week Jennifer was lusting after Daniel again with Abby pushing for it.

5.For years Kristian Alfonso was the one who pimped the stories where Bo and Hope were together fighting the bad guys. She loved Melaswen. Peter was the one who wanted more meaty stuff to work with. I remember feeling so bad for him during the vendetta storyline when they wrote those cheesy scenes with Bo and Hope making "cute" bets.

6. Peter's exit wasn't about money. ALL the actors took pay cuts in 2009. They all know about the budget. Peter has mentioned two different reasons for leaving. One was that he wanted some sort of storyline if he were to stay. The other was that he wanted to spend more time with his family. Yes he has gone back and forth on Twitter for the last two years, one day he wants to come back, the next he doesn't. But there have never been any signs about him wanting more money.

7. The men can exist in Salem too! When Melissa Reeves decided to leave in 2006 Jack was supposed to have stayed in Salem, and it was the perfect time with Steve and Kayla having recently been brought back. But Corday decided that Jack and Jennifer should leave together so Matthew Ashford was fired. TPTB have tried Jennifer in so many pairings and most of them failed. They haven't cared about Jack as a character since his orignal run. Why not put him at the spectator again, and let Nicole join him as a reporter. Jack and Nicole had some good scenes in the past. John and Marlena are getting back together but they can still have their own lives, now with John being a cop again.

• Members

I think Reckell is a decent actor who has also aged well, but I don't want to see Bo/Hope reunited and after the last fiasco I'm surprised he's doing this "we're in talks" stuff again.

If they bring him back I hope it's not for Bope 15.0. Nor do I want some "twist" where he hooks up with Adrienne.

• Members

I do think they expected that Reckell would be back after his 2012 exit -- hence Bo's murky exit. For the first eight months or however long, they didn't play it like there was a problem. Bo was off with Caroline, then he was in Salem but unseen, then he was visiting Shawn and Belle, etc. I truly think they expected or hoped that he'd agree to a recurring role and they could just use Bo in a reduced capacity and use Hope as a happily married woman/cop/Horton without having Bo onscreen as much. Of course, that blew up in their faces and then you could see them uneasily figuring it onscreen as time passed.

As was said above, these couples don't HAVE to be together, and I would actually like to see a show where Jack is alive and co-parenting with Jen but also involved with, I dunno, Billie, and where Hope stays with Aiden but Bo is there for Caroline, etc. We haven't really seen that kind of show, and it could be interesting. But a lot of the stories they've told would work well with these couples together anyway! This entire JJ story would've also been interesting with Jack around, from the rape revisit to the Eve fling.

With regards to Steve and Justin: the 2009 non-exit for Steve and Kayla was really stupid, but wasn't Nichols on Y&R when they began to use Mary Beth Evans again on recurring (as part of Stephanie's story)? I don't know why he hasn't been brought back since he left Y&R, but the origins of Kayla being in Salem without Steve made logistical sense. And Justin's been gone for a year because GH has been using him more, and I'd imagine the scheduling is a pain in the ass, so of all the things I can fault Days for (and there are a zillion), not bending over backwards to schedule a recurring player isn't one of them. I actually don't mind how they've actually used the story to weave Justin back in as opposed to just having him show up and be like, "Hey!" -- and even though the Lucas/Adrienne flirtation feels forced, I like seeing the actors have something to do.

I'm just sort of rambling, but I think there are a lot of ways this could be played without the show feeling completely stuck in 1989 Supercouple Mode.

• Members

From how I remember it, there were rumors about GH wanting Ned in 2013 already, then all of a sudden Wally gets more airtime on DAYS when Justin helped EJ bring down Stefano. Wally went back to GH last year becaue DAYS wasn't using him. Maybe it all turned out for the best since he is now working on boths shows.

You are right that Stephen was on Y&R when MBE came back to DAYS for several vistis in 2010 and early 2011. I think it was in summer 2012 that Kayla and Steve broke up. I remember Kayla lusting for Abe at the reception after Lexie's funeral. I don't know if Stephen was still at Y&R during that time. I do think the main reason we haven't seen him back was Tomlin. He and Stephen didn't get along back in 2008-2009.

Archived