Y&R: January 2015 Discussion Thread

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know sometimes that age doesn't matter, and Kevin Schmidt looked like he was a teenager even though he was about 20-21 when he first came on as Noah....but I do agree that they probably could have gotten away with casting a slightly younger actor in real life to be Noah.....I'm thinking someone born in the 93-96 range since Noah was born 97 onscreen....again, Robert Adamson looks like he's younger then 29 which works,but IMO I always sort of prefer that they cast base on if the onscreen parents would've be old enough to have a child that age in real life.....like JM and SC would have been only 14 and 11 to have RA, and I know that's always been a staple in soaps (look at B&B for example, John McCook was 7 in real life when Ronn Moss was born...haha) but I think nowadays they really should stick to casting a child that the parents would have at least been in their early to mid 20's by the time they were born in real life....(depending on which characters it is.)

that's why I always say RA should've been Scotty cause even though he looks younger I would believe it more if Tracey Bregman was playing his mother since she was in her 20's when he was born in real life as well as onscreen years ago....

• Members

I don't think that RA is part of the problem. I simply think it is incompetent writers. From Griffin. To dumb ass Jean & Shelly. To an even dumber Chuck. None of them know what to do with the character. If they were smart, they would've simply repeated history with Noah and Courtney. Courtney should've been like Sharon [like Sharon was to Nikki]--the girl from the wrong side of the tracks. When it was assumed that Courtney was a drug dealer, they should've played that up instead of making her an undercover cop. I would've preferred for her to have been blackmailed into a drug cartel on behalf of her parents or something and for Noah to have gotten involved by trying to save her. Or they should've saved her for Ian's story and had her part of the cult, which Austin should've been apart of too but I digress, and have Noah save her from that. Sharon could've protested the relationship between the two, much like Nikki did Nick/Sharon, and in a twist, have Nick protest it too as he feels Courtney and Noah are moving too fast much like he and Sharon did when they were younger. Have some push and pull between Noah/Courtney and his parents and Kyle as an obstacle both professionally and personally.

Noah, much like Devon until about two years ago, is criminally underused. How he isn't driving story boggles my mind. Bill would've had him in Newman working his way up with numerous love interest [past and present] under his belt. I do give Maria that. She did utilize Noah even though he was paired with her dullard character, Eden.

TIIC fails to realize that this show is called The Young and the Restless. The younger characters should be driving story more than anyone. Love the veterans and they should be having story too but it's sad when the audience cares for none of the younger generation.

• Members

I fear that, much like Devon, Noah won't get a real adult story until he is forced into a triangle with his aging, and years beyond his prime, onscreen father. Oh wait, TPTB only do those stories with Winters men. You know, the black people. Yes, I'm still bitter.

I saw pictures of RA and that new guy that plays Kyle on twitter. They were on set. Unlike Devon, Noah has someone they would make his rival so I am sure he will escape the eventual curse of being forced to play foil to his intentionally blinded daddy's 4th May/Dec fiz-tastic romamce. He's not black, afterall. Quite bitter!

• Members

RA just didn't work in the suit role. He wasn't believable IMO. and this new Kyle seems more like a young preppy playboy type from how he was dressed. I don't think it will be corporate intrigue with these two at all. It will center around that bar for sure. Lol

• Members

I agree that it's the writing that definitely lacks. To me, it doesn't even matter whether Schmidt or Adamson. With Schmidt, the writing was sloppy and all over the place, with Adamson, it's practically nonexistent.

The writers just don't seem to pay attention for more than 2 minutes to this character.

To write for Noah is not that hard, really it isn't.

They had him as a budding photographer...they could've made him get an offer to work for Jabot on some of their fashion/perfume campaigns (it could've been set up when Summer and Mason were models there), which would have stuck in Victor's craw.

or

when Malcolm was there they could've run into each other got into a conversation, inspiring Noah to get into editorial/news photography putting him in dangerous situations, which would've caused a lot of anxiety to Sharon, Nick and Nikki especially and put him into conflict with Courtney who gave up an exciting position in undercover work to be with Noah. When they don't want to use the actor, just send Noah on an assignment and that would give Sharon, Nick and the rest of the Newmans another layer and something added to discuss in addition to the other storylines.

I look at Noah, Summer, Fen and many of the younger characters and I think of the storylines that Cricket, Nina, Phillip the 2nd and later the Glow by Jabot Kids and Colleen, etc and there is no comparison in terms of the investment in the characters back then versus today by the writers (or the lack thereof).

• Members

Yes to all of this.

I just find it sad that Y&R's younger generation sucks nowadays. IMO, Y&R was always light years ahead of other soaps when it came to younger generations. It was always one of their strong suits. They don't even try nowadays. None of the younger characters have ambitions. Their love stories are wan. If this is the generation we are supposed to invest in to steer the show ten years from now then they might as well put a fork in it because I don't see how any of them are able to keep me interested.

• Members

I was looking forward to Phyllis/Kelly but it fell flat for me. Same with Adam. WTF is going on. I hope it was just something about today's show and not permanent.

All of sudden Victor is selling CI and the redevelopment? Oh ok.

Anyway, a blah Friday. IA with yall regarding the younger set. It's sad really.

• Members

I hope now that Victor told Nikki he isn't proceeding with the redevelopment deal and Dylan can keep CL they drop this loser of a storyline.

I didn't understand what was happening with Kelley and Phyllis. Phyllis confessesed to Kelley and apologized? I'm confused. I'm also confused as to what the hell Adam is doing moving in next to Chelsea. So he can stalk her better? I'm terrified that JH is reading these scrpts and thinking, -what the hell am I doing on this show, I'm calling my agent!

Archived