DAYS: October 2014 Discussion Thread

• Members

I agree the acting was great but the set up felt rushed, mostly. I also don't really like how they have all of these sweet moments and make it clear as day the character is about to get offed. I still don't think he's truly dead. It was sweet to see James basically say goodbye to the show but EJ was such a non-character at the end. BYE.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Agreed. I think it's good for her character to lose the very thing she always wanted and craved. Suitable end to a character like Sami who has never been able to nurture a loving relationship. It's like she is finally receiving all the misery she heaped onto others for twenty years.

As to Sami being shackled, I don't see it. She's been exactly who she was supposed to be during their entire relationship. If anything this relationship returned her to true form. While with EJ, Sami is the exact character she always was supposed to be, she just finally had someone who was willing to share in her wretched ways. I think that's whats going to be the most painful part for her. That she has lost someone who saw the world the same way she did. She wasn't a watered down, vanilla doe-eyed heroine like she was with Lucas and Rafe their last time around (and by extension Austin and others). Sami was always so much darker and more twisted than that. Sami's actually been Sami, and it was the first time she didn't have to hide it.

I get not being fans of the character or the pairing, but Sami's been written in character the entire time. If any character suffered from being attached to another character for so long, it's actually been EJ of the two. As it was shown with EJabby, Chad, Victor, Nicole and even Kristen for instance there was a ton of potential that could have fostered story for EJ, and he could have entertained other stories and maintained a notable presence on the show well outside of Sami. He is the more versatile character who could have melded into other stories in different ways. If anything it's Sami whose needed EJ (and by extension) the DiMera's to keep her story interesting and breath life into the character since around 2008. You can see that by the circling of the drain the character of Rafe is going threw now that he is separated from them and is struggling in a new story outside of them. EJ has kept Sami a leading character, has continuously made her important, relevant and given her a powerful frame of reference in multiple stories. Without him, she would be in a similar position Kate is in now. A supporting character for Will and trying to shoehorn in on the Jordan/Rafe relationship as a desperate outsider, something she as a character she would be no stranger to.

• Members

She was still pretending to be the good girl though. Sami was still hiding who she was as a person. I mean if people want Sami in another Saustin/Lumi/Safe relationship, I mean they have close to 20 years of that. Just click on Youtube for the desperation of Sami dying for someone to love her. Sami's entire life revolves around men being sick of her and being disgusted by the person she is at her core and her begging for the barest scrapes of attention from them. There's more than enough scenes of Sami getting the door shut in her face by the men she obsessed over, and now that EJ is out of the way Sami is free to repeat that same process ad nausea whenever Sweeney wants to come back and play the pathetic, sadistic, masochist known as Sami Brady.

She'll probably come back for the 50th, maybe if she's lucky they will have Lucas spit on her once again while she grovels on the floor and begs for his love for old times sake.

• Members
I think her leaving heartbroken but strong with her. Kids would be a great ending.

Sami isn't this evil character. She never has been. No she's not innocent and nice but she's not so,eone who's evil. She's selfish, reckless, impulsive and this leads to her on self distraction but the whinny, victim cry baby she wa turned into to fit ith ej is just the worst thing that ever could have happened to her. I, so grateful for this final year because she's BN a great mix of classic sami but modern and more mature at the same time. Sucks it took this long to get that and it was short.

I am not a fan of her and lucas either. But I'd take her feeling like she wasn't good enough for him than her being tortured and humiliated in the name of love by ej.

• Members

I couldn't see it differently. I don't understand how someone can view Sami having the same conversation where she denies who she is, just for the love of a man who despises her and not call that humiliation and torture. I mean take any of the break up scenes of Sami's various men except EJ and it's pretty much complete and other masochism of Sami trying to change herself for the love of a man who can't stand her. I can't see how that's true love. Then to completely discount the fact that EJ offered Sami pretty much everything she has ever wanted on a silver platter, complete acceptance, unconditional love and understanding of the core of who she is -- and say that's humiliation and torture to her. It's like saying the shack Austin, Lucas and Rafe want her to live in is better for her, healthier for her than the palace EJ offered her. I don't even think it's that EJ is a better person than those other men are. That's clearly not the case. Morally all of Sami's other men are better than him. But it's as clear as day that EJ is the much better match for her, because of who Sami is. None of those men loved Sami the way EJ did, those men couldn't even stand the sight of the true her and didn't stick around once they realized how horrible Sami was.

Going back to other various points, I don't know how someone could say Sami isn't evil. She deliberately hurts people for her own satisfaction to achieve her own goals, even when that adversely effects others. I can't imagine a world in which telling your own flesh and blood sister that you can't have healthy children just so you can hoodwink her greatest love isn't evil. Trying to sell your other flesh and blood sister on the black market, because mommy doesn't love you best is even more deplorable. She may have sympathetic motivations (arguable) and she may be likable, but her list of crimes goes on and on, and her intentions and amorality is noted in each action she takes. All of this underscores that she is not a good person. Evil id defined as being immoral, depraved and malevolent. That's Sami. There's a reason why characters like Nicole and Nick who are also on the grey side of the morality scale end up looking more sympathetic at times when they were put in a story opposite Sami, even when Sami was supposed to be the hero. Sami is an evil character, just because she may have good character attributes about her doesn't change that. Kristen is a good comparison template to compare Sami too.

As to Sami being a whiny cry baby she's been written that way since 2007, since Hogan wanted to make her a heroine, and it failed epically precisely because Sami isn't Carrie or Belle. She's been that whiny, cry baby for years -- she was written that way when she was under Lucas from 2007-2009, she was written that way under Rafe in 2010-2012. She was written as a hapless victim against big bad EJ, because they needed to sell Sami as a heroine (which no one bought) and they needed to sell Lucas and Rafe as heroes. But because of Sami's core characterization both relationships fell apart, because she has more in common with EJ than she ever did with Lucas or Rafe.

I would say she's actually been written the way she's supposed to be written since 2013 (i.e. since she's been with EJ). Sami has pretty much run the show. She's been who she always has been, and the core of her character has been left unchanged precisely because EJ lets her be who she is without her having to stifle her true characterization for love and acceptance of a man. She's still impulsive, she's still self-centered, she's still vindictive, she's still opinionated, she's still brash, she's still self destructive -- all of the classic Sami Brady salient character traits have been well respected and nurtured while she was with EJ. EJ still loved her anyway, and the biggest difference was that he was there for her through everything and he wouldn't leave her or let her fall. He supported her unconditionally. Look no further than the Bernardi, Nick and Kristen storylines. All of those storylines feature Sami reacting and acting like she always does. I don't see how anyone could say Sami's been weak willed and watered down while with EJ (2013- Present). She's fought him every step of the way for pretty much everything. She hasn't been his little woman in the slightest to compare to EJ's other women -- she's nowhere near as complacent as Nicole was, or even Taylor was. Sami's hasn't been submissive to him at all. She's finally been Sami since she cut ties with Rafe and hasn't looked back. Real Sami's been here for the past 2 years now, and she finally returned to who she was supposed to be after trying to be this villain in heroines clothing for such a long time.

• Members

I'd agree that Sami isn't an evil character, per se, she's more a deeply damaged person who has done awful, selfish, reckless acts that, ultimately, come back to destroy her...and you never quite feel sorry for her because, on some level, she deserves her comeuppance. It's the classic "love to hate"...even when Sami was written more as a (boring) heroine, it was hard to get behind her because we, the audience, knew what she was really like and couldn't buy the change in direction.

Sami never had to be nasty or selfish. She could have been a good girl and life would have turned out just fine. But just fine wasn't enough for her, she was selfish, she wanted more and she got it and has paid for it dearly.

And so, I hope we don't see a happy ending for Sami, it's not who she is.

Archived