Riot erupting in St. Louis after police shooting of Ferguson youth

alphanguy74

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I apologize for the belated response, as these last several weeks have been extraordinarily busy for me.

I never said that all black people think the same way, but it appears as if a sizable portion don't trust police officers (due to perceived issues of racial insensitivity). I don't claim to have all the answers, but it seems reasonable to assume that some black people (who ordinarily would be qualified) don't become cops because they don't want to join an organization they believe to be racist. Obviously, one reason why there are black cops is because there exists black people who believe certain police forces are not inherently racist. Another reason is because some blacks may feel an obligation to reverse the past history of racism that existed in a certain police department.

I did not mean anything racist when I hypothesized that another reason why fewer blacks are in the police force is because of the poorer education they receive (which would make it tougher for them to possess the tools they need to pass the police exam). Sadly, anyone who lives in poverty (regardless of race) is going to suffer from poor education, and his or her career choices will be limited as a result.

Regarding the term African-American, I don't like it either, both because it can be factually incorrect in certain instances, and because it sounds so politically correct. I use it sometimes, however, just so I can vary the words that I use.

• Members

I didn't think you did. Kids generally get their ideas for career choices from adults. I wouldn't blame it on poverty or poor education. I think the whole correlation that is drawn between poverty and education needs to be re-examined. Technically, public school K-12 education should be the same across the board. I know it varies by school district but the curriculum ought to be the same state-wide at least. The ball is being dropped on many different levels.

"African-American" is a problematic term, imo, because people use it as a pc reference to race (which is incorrect). All "African-Americans" may be considered black but all people considered black are not "African-American." Anyone from the continent of Africa who becomes a naturalized American should be able to use that label, but people are not keen on Teresa Heinz Kerry or Charlize Theron being labeled as such. Some people have said that the label should only be used to refer to black Americans with slave ancestry. I don't know how that distinction can easily be made.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

More autopsy info has been revealed, it's looking better for the officer in this case. I hate to say, but I think this is going to end very badly when no indictment comes down.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/new-evidence-supports-officers-account-of-shooting-in-ferguson/2014/10/22/cf38c7b4-5964-11e4-bd61-346aee66ba29_story.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived