GH: Ron Carlivati Interview

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's not accurate - many of us have dogged on Guza's run for years, and on the various iterations of this board for perhaps over a decade. I sure didn't like it. I was thrilled to see the back of Guza. I think this creative team has righted or taken away so much of what Guza made wrong with the show. I was beyond thrilled to see Steve gone, and I never want him back.

The problem is that while I agree they have fixed a lot of the show, Ron Carlivati and his team have an entirely different set of massive issues.

• Members

Garin Wolf brought GH to all time lows in his head writer position. He's a better script writer then head writer. Jill and him almost caused the show to be cancelled. The ratings were never lower. I like Michele Val Jean. She never got a chance at GH. I can't believe anyone would want Jill and Bob back they were so bad for GH.

• Members

He's right - normal people don't react to a spouse's suddenly changed behavior by assuming their spouse was kidnapped and replaced by a lookalike... but we know that if OUR spouse suddenly started acting very strangely, we'd get to the bottom of it, and it wouldn't take months because in "real life" there are a million little details that would trip up someone trying to take over a stranger's life and family. We know if we could figure this out in real life, this character we like needs to be at least as smart as we are. Fans ask "Why is X being so stupid" (whether that's Tracy on GH or Jack on AMC or any other instance where this tired trope was used) because long-time soap fans have seen this same story of "major character kidnapped and replaced by a lookalike who wreaks havoc for months" over and over and over again, and we'd appreciate it if the writers would not underestimate our intelligence.

I think this is a big problem with soaps that I don't think a lot writers grasp: we've watched soaps for years, sometimes decades, and we can see your twist coming a long way off. Some "died" but no body was recovered? Oh, she's totally still alive. A main character suddenly acts crazy? It's either an imposter, or he/she has a long-lost twin. Yawn. We've seen that. Repeatedly.

• Members

What's more, Tracy has a long history with Luke's scams and schemes. She'd at least smell a rat there, even if she didn't conceive of his not being Luke which Carlivati is correct would be a stretch. I'd be more willing to believe that Tracy, let's say, becomes convinced he has clandestinely reunited with Laura after all her anxiety over them last year and is playing her to bilk her for more money. But for Tracy to find none of this suspect is ridiculous. She's not that desperate for Luke.

• Members

Me too..but that would be hard to do since Ron lives in his own fantasy land where he thinks his show doesnt smelll like s hit and is a bed of roses with brilliant ratings...LMAO. I wish ABC would pull the rug on GH just to have Ron with egg all over his face. I am sure he would come out with all his blah blah about how great the show ended with him as HW..what a joke.

• Members

As bad as some of the writing was with Erica/Jane, at least they allowed Jack to have an idea of something being up from pretty much the get-go. The fact that Tracy is SO clueless, is really where this story falls flat. A better writer would find some way to get around that if he insisted on such a ridiculous story.

• Members

In the 1990's, I enjoyed Reilly's DAYS, but adored Labine and first round Guza with Riche. I could not understand why the stupid plots (Lady in a cage I'm looking at you) were driving Days into the top, and GH was in the middle of the pack. People sometimes like crap. But you can't pretend Carlivati's crap is not driving up the ratings. I do think the time slot change didn't hurt, but the show has had 2 good ratings years and other than the Robin storyline not driven by one storyline. I'm not enjoying it, but Nielsen families are.

• Members

That is a completely illogical conclusion. Few people here want Jason featured every day or at all for that matter. One doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the other. And no matter how much any particular viewer may have loathed Jason, or Carly or Sonny or any combination of the three, eliminating one or all isn't in itself an improvement. Unless you are that easily satisfied. Crap stories featuring new pets only meets the low standards of fans who care only that Jason was removed.

Archived