Y&R: David Tom Fired! Replacement Announced...

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When I watched B&B, I got used to RM's bad acting as Ridge. He still couldnt' act, but I was used to it and couldn't imagine him being played by someone else, so I see exactly what you are saying.

• Members

SO much word!

The fact is, Billy should not be written the way he is. David Tom can play a complex Billy. David Tom, the original teen/adult actor in the role should not be considered "the wrong fit". That's bad writing. It has nothing to do with his acting. If you don't like his acting, that's fine, but they want Billy to be a certain way and in a certain storyline and he shouldn't be.

Billy is younger than Victoria, and their pairing NEVER should have happened.

Amelia Heinle is the problem and they need to realize this. Victoria is a pathetic non-character and Amelia KNOWS her place on the show was defined by Bacteria.

An Emmy means nothing. It's based on very little. An episode or two doesn't excuse years of suckage in a role.

• Members

Because, the concept of the Abbotts and Newmans being united through marriage is tantalizing -- on paper. For me, however, the problem is that TPTB are so intrigued by the concept that they are willing to ignore basic common sense to make it happen. As someone who felt BM was a weak actor and that DT was hamstrung the entire time he was there, I believe you can plug any actor you like in that role and it's never going to work for one reason and one reason alone, and her name is Amelia Heinle.

• Members

It's pretty annoying when you all ask questions about the appeal of BM and Villy and then dismiss outright our honest answers.

He's been gone for a long time. It's not a tactic. I want to like Villy again. DT didn't cut it. It is all about his acting and his facial expressions. He looks a lot more mature in photos where his face is not scrunched up like a little boy having a tantrum. Aren't facial expressions and hand and arm gestures part of acting?

You all just want to pretend you don't understand so that you don't have to accept the facts. And that's JMO. Or you are just juvenile.

• Members

It's also annoying when some - and I'm not including you, so please, I beg you, take no offense - cannot look past Villy and gauge how else DT and/or Billy might have been used on the canvas. Are Villy-centric stories the only stories that can be told either for Billy or Victoria? I realize the writers might - might - have some long-term plan in place for those two. However, nothing, not even a soap opera story, is ever "set in stone". Even if one were to concede that BM was charismatic and had amazing chemistry with AH, what would have been the harm of observing DT's interpretation and then adjusting the story accordingly? Even if it meant abandoning any and all future plans for Villy? I mean, that's pretty much what they're doing now for Cady McClain, whose Kelly Andrews is so damned different from CW's that it might as well be an altogether new character!

DT was fired for no reason other than he had no chemistry with AH, which was just a short-sighted move to make.

• Members

I felt the same about Bradley Cole (ex-Richard/Jeffrey, GUIDING LIGHT). It never mattered which role he was playing, how long he'd been on the show, or how many days per week he was featured. If anything, the more often he was on, the more resentful I felt toward TPTB for forcing him down viewers' throat.

• Members

Khan, YES! Villy are not the end all to either of these characters. Both Billy and Victoria have been in more successful relationships before. Billy & Mac trump anything Villy every did, they are one of Y&R's signature young love stories. And there was a time when it didn't matter who Victoria's love interest was because she was such a force all by herself. It's sad because I felt they could put Heather Tom with ANYBODY and she could make it work. I still hate we never got Michael/Victoria.

Archived