Y&R: David Tom Fired! Replacement Announced...

• Members

I'm not saying I agree with anything, just that the rationale is there. For TPTB, Villy is endgame. It's hard enough for fans to accept one half being recast, so to have both changed out in such a short period of time would never happen.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think any of us were arguing that AH should be fired and Victoria should be recast to fit DT's Billy. My general read is a lot of us agree that Villy as canon is kind of ridiculous. Furthermore Victoria hasn't really had good stories in a long time, and AH isn't really the finest thespian and doesn't transcend poor writing. Firing an actor implicitly because he doesn't fit well with one other actor on the show is just ridiculous. Billy is an Abbot and Jill's son, and a legacy character in his own right -- separate and apart from Victoria. Frankly it makes more sense for me to break them up. It creates more opportunity for story. DT was actually working well in other stories.

• Members

Damn being the last to know you're fired sucks but this is nothing new at Y&R. I remember how ER found out she was fired on twitter. TPTB telling DT its because he looks too young for CM, whom he's not even paired with, is total BS. They didn't have the balls to tell him he's fired or to say its cause he looks too young for their pet AH. Its all about getting money couple rolleyes.gif Villy to work and right now they don't. Billy is getting aged up to suit Victoria and for this impending hexagon of Adam/Chelsea/Billy/Victoria/Stitch/Jenna. I'm sure NuAdam will look old as hell too.

• Members

we can go on about bts politics, and material for pages, but what it all comes down to is DT's range is VERY limited. I am getting shades of Billy-begging-Mac, etc. with his current portrayal and that shows me that he's had NO GROWTH. I do not get any impression that he's a grieving father, at all. It's like he's over it and consumed by his love for Victoria - in the same way he was with Mac - as if this is some Romeo&Juliet riff, which seems totally inappropriate.

at first I thought Billy was internalizing his grief over Delia's death to the point where he became fixated on Victoria/his family, etc, etc something a bit deeper, but it's becoming painfully apparent that's not the case, and DT's performance is coming off as one-note.

bleh.

• Members

Honestly, if (and I'm totally speculating here so no spoiler tags) the story direction goes where I see it leading, Billy is going to be wigging out over the baby daddy deal, and once Phyliss wakes up, Kelly will be tripping the lights cray, and I can see them revisiting the pairing. And it would look ridiculous with Tom in the role. JMO.

• Members

Believe me, cassadine, I understand how you feel, lol. It aggravated me to no end how TPTB at GUIDING LIGHT seemed to kowtow to fans of Danny/Michelle and of Bradley Cole (ex-Richard/Jeffrey). No way did I ever believe that the majority of the audience wanted that couple and that actor. Gradually, however, I realized that any fan-base, regardless of size, can determine the direction of a show if they are savvy enough to manipulate the systems by which TPTB gauge fans' opinions.

• Members

Try explaining that to the "die-hards" who are all thumbs when it comes to reality. I guarantee that if, by the greatest miracle ever, Billy Miller reaches a level of fame in the industry that matches, say, Chris Evans', you will still have fans on FB, Twitter and the like arguing how easy it would be to write around his film gigs and have him on the show whenever he isn't busy working somewhere else.

• Members

He looks too old for AH and he looks too old for the story. He looks about 50. It was tough enough to buy Filler Miller as the anguished father or the noble reformed playboy when he looked more like an aging wino Don Draper would have propped up a bar with, but this guy is really pushing it.

Archived