Lupita Nyong'o is People Magazine's Most Beautiful Woman for 2014.

xtr

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Magazines used to go out of their way to avoid putting women of color on the cover because they thought people wouldn't buy them. When they did take the "risk" it was usually with the paper bag tested and approved Halle Berry. Black women on the cover of a magazine is a recent thing. A woman as dark as Lupita is a sea change. Is it because she's the latest it girl? Of course and that's the big deal.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/18/business/on-covers-of-many-magazines-a-full-racial-palette-is-still-rare.html

• Members

Amen Marceline. I don't really get the hate. All these people lambasting Lupita would probably be celebrating if Jennifer Lawrence was on the cover, as if that wouldn't be predictable. Famous white blond IT girl named most beautiful(even if she's not).

The People cover is bought no question, but the fact that Lupita was in the running is a huge hurdle overcome. And looking at that cover, I really can't see how anyone can think she's not beautiful. Perhaps she doesn't fit the EuroAmerican view of beauty, but she's gorgeous and you can just see her inner beauty shining through. So she's on the cover because she's the IT girl. Like any of the white women who have been on the cover weren't at the time.

• Members

I always think the People cover of the most beautiful is a crock and it has been for years. Paltrow's came out right about the time Iron Man was to be released. She's pale and figureless, but whatever. It's great to see a dark skinned woman of color on the cover, but I'd much rather read about her new projects on the big screen. So far, there is nothing coming up. That's disappointing!

I won't be distracted by all the talk of how beautiful this woman is when she is really talented, and if she were white, IMDB would show about 5 projects coming out by 2015.

• Members

The only women who I can even remember over the years who might stand out are Michelle Pfeiffer and Halle Berry. I can't even tell you what others might have gotten that nod, but Julia Roberts, Aniston, and Hudson certainly don't stand out as anything exceptional in terms of beauty, inner or outer.

• Members

I barely remember most of them, but I saw that Jodie Foster was one of the first. I can see that. She's always been a striking woman and remains so.

But the anger over Lupita Nyong'o getting this puzzles me. It's as if People is anointing her queen of the universe. I'm sure everyone knows that this industry is going to make sure she has very limited opportunities, even if she was the most talented and beautiful person in all of creation (I'm not saying she is). It's just a magazine award because she's hot at the moment.

Archived