Have Soap Fans changed?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I rage quit both GL in the early 90s and OLTL in 2007. I went back to GL a couple of times out of curiosity about the production model and OLTL when they brought the Gannons back only to be reminded why I quit to begin with. Even now just thinking about RJs return makes me want to punch sad clowns.

The primetime shows I quit (House and Criminal Minds) were both because of scenes of violence against women. They just crossed a line for me and I couldn't stomach watching. It didn't help that the showrunner for House showed the same level of petulance toward criticism that we see from Carlivati. So again I suggest to Ms. Hinsey that it isn't just the audience who turns into haters on social media.

• Members

I quit Y&R awhile back. I also quit DAYS about seven years ago but I started watching again a few months ago. I still love Criminal Minds though it is getting old. I quit House awhile back because I liked the guest stars more than the main actors which is pretty sad.

All the abysmal NON-actors in the early to mid 00s (Matthew Metzger, Matthew Twining, Jessica Morris, Javier Morga, Tracy Melchior, among others) pretty much drove me to stop watching around 2003-2005. I started watching again I think in mid 2005. Since then, some stories made me sick on OLTL, such as the endless Ford brother and Todd crap and canonizing, nauseating Rex/Gigi, and Jessica and Marty being ruined for good, but I stuck with it.

I quit watching GH after Billy Warlock's AJ was killed off but I started watching again a couple years ago. I still watch partly because there are some actresses that I like (pretty much the entire male cast is putrid aside from Jon Lindstrom and maybe the actor that plays Shawn), but mostly because I watch to see how horrendous it can get under RC's poison pen. His obnoxious, delusional, petulant tantrums on social media and in interviews just add to it.

• Members

Most recently I quit watching Twisted out of rage over the way they constantly wrote the sole black female as nothing more than a prop even ignoring her own pain to prop another. And then Pratt took over that show and from what I heard and have witnessed though cancellation hashtags trending the show is now worse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I quit watching GH in 2003 (I believe), not so much out of rage, but because the show was just downright violent, misogynistic and not to mention downright depressing. You see, a very dear friend of mine suddenly passed away at that time at a young age (though not violently), and I wanted a bit of escape. The last straw was Sonny shooting an in-labor Carly in the head while aiming for Lorenzo Alcazar. That was it!! I turned the show off and never went back (except to see a bit of Genie Francis' return in 2006). If I want to see violent stories, I'll watch the news.

• Members

I usually ended up getting bored or disinterested--for instance, continuing to tape shows but not watching them for weeks--and then sort of "the final straw" would happen that made me stop. Every time OLTL brought Mitch Laurence back (plus he killed Jared last time), I quit because 1) I loathed him and 2) nothing else on the show was holding much interest for me at the time. I did the same thing with GL....lost interest but continued to tape as long as DAM was there. When they fired him, I stopped. I quit GH a decade ago because I got tired of the show revolving around Sonny, Jason and the mob. I only checked it out briefly a few times to see some returns but I never stuck with it. That ship pretty much sank in the water for me long ago. Not even the characters that used to have me glued in the 80s-90s (Anna, Robert, Duke, etc,) could hold my interest now.

• Members

I stopped watching GH back when the show wrapped up the TMK story. Even bringing SJB one of my all time favorite actresses couldnt convince me to stick around. I also didnt like how they handled Kate (then played by Megan Ward another of my fave) post-Skate 1.0. That was the only pairing involving Sonny that I not only tolerate but actually liked.

I came to the realization that LuZa had no interest in my viewership at that point and waited until the annoucement that he had been fired and replaced. I liked GW's run during the strike and wanted to support him eveen as a non-union writer becuz his few weeks at the helm was better than anything LuZa had come with during the Hell years. Im back to having onlyone thing keeping me watching and Im pretty sure RC has no interest in Brad and Lucas as neither are on contract. As soon as Parry Shen goes I go.

• Members

I think soap fans changed but not in the way Carolyn suggests. From 1958-1978 ATWT was number 1 yet the production values sucked. Why was it number 1? People tolerated it! But when they started to see the Production Values of the ABC serials they became restless and tuned in because they noticed something shinier was out there. Since then soap fans have been unable to tolerate sub-par production values. There are other things as well as production values soap fans can't tolerate such as those great long stories. I tend to prefer those myself because they are a bit more psychological but most people tend to complain.

Archived