Have Soap Fans changed?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think those people have always been there, but the internet gives them a wider audience and more ways to connect with TPTB while also trying to drum up support for their cause from other fans.

I do think soap fans have changed in that they're harder to shock. If you've watched soaps for decades, and you follow the shows and actors via social media, it's almost impossible for a show to shock you. You know when characters are leaving because you've read online that the actor or actress is departing the show, you've seen just about every conceivable odd plot twist, long-lost relative, back from the dead, evil villain story out there, so good luck surprising you. Plus a fan base who can see the plot twist coming is going to form an opinion about it before it happens, and they have a lot of ways to make their opinion known.

Frankly though, the "give me what I want or I'm never going to do X again" people extend far beyond soaps. Heck, you see it in politics all the time in a contested primary season - if candidate Y doesn't win, the party doesn't have my vote in November."

• Members

I have seen variations of this nonsense for well over fifteen years now. I'm tempted to go dig out some of my old articles about this (which often involved Paul Rauch bitching about GL fans) and post them. It's the same old same old. Soap magazine writers, who are aghast and horrified at the world changing in ways that don't give them total power (because that's what this is all about) treating the Internet like some sort of wildebeest and shaming fans. This is not about "social media." "Social media" has become the new "message boards" or "chat rooms."

Has the Internet changed soap fans? Yes. Has that been an entirely good thing? No. It's not good that actors now get death threats, that their family gets death threats, over and over on Twitter. It's not good that actors can now immediately know when fans think they're ugly or talentless.

For the most part though, social media is something that could have been harnessed, and is something that soaps and hacks like Hinsey have squandered for nearly two decades now. They see fans as being [!@#$%^&*] on their shoe, never remembering their place.

The truth is a lot of soap viewers are still hanging on precisely because of the Internet and connections and friendships they've made on the Internet. No one is hanging on because of SOD or SID.

We have heard variations of, "If you complain then you won't have a show at all!" a million times, and what these people don't seem to realize is that the fans who complain already feel like they don't have a show.

And comparing the Muhney and KMc situations is dubious. I also notice that she pointedly chose not to mention that Kimberly herself criticized her storyline before leaving, and warned fans about how bad it would be.

The truth is that fans have *always* threatened to quit watching if a character leaves. Always. You can go back to the beginning of soaps to see this. And you can see very bitter, angry letters in soap magazines from long before the Web became common in American life.

The idea of soap fans being so thoughtful and patient and sugary sweet pre-Internet is a myth. Just like it's a myth that Carolyn Hinsey is an actress or a journalist.

• Members

Most people who stopped watching a soap wouldn't write to a magazine saying they would give up on a show. It is easy to do that online. People can be thoughtful in their writing, but these days if feels like no one is listening. There is no reason to write a missive to a magazine as by now everyone knows the shows aren't listening especially with Days due to how far in advance they tape.

• Members

Have people changed the way they interact? Of course. Social media allows anyone with five seconds to spout off in 140 characters or less.

Is this really anything new? No---I'll guarantee you some Cro-Magnon drawing on a cave wall had his critics, those who stalked him and those who thought he was the be-all end-all.

It's not even contained to soap fans. Want to see some ignorance on full display? Visit any comment section of a sports-related story. I thought soap boards were rough.

It's the world that's less polite and thoughtful. Being loud, obnoxious and "in someone's face" has been confused with having an opinion and the right to say so.

• Members

I have no patience for nuts. They are [!@#$%^&*] TV shows. Prepare yourself for the reality that these are not real people, but fictional characters who are subject to the whims of EPs and writers who don't give a [!@#$%^&*] about your sentimentality. Get a life, let it go, they owe you nothing, you owe them nothing.

• Members

One of the problems is that those in charge lump all soap fans together if they ever say a critical word. So someone who is annoyed a story or cast change is the same as someone who tweets vile hate to actors and crew. That's one of the reasons there are no real standards anymore.

• Members

I see Carolyn Hinsey has returned to regale us once again with her "Tokyo Rose" routine - 'if you critique a show, these soaps will die! It's better to not question these decisions because you don't know what I know!' Shut up, you drunk hag.

• Members

Like I would believe this bitch is sincere about anything!

I don't think soap fans have changed. If the social media was around 30 years ago, we would probably see tweets like "I want Luke or Todd to rape me". The fans were just as rabid back then only they didn't have a platform in which to express it.

As for the intelligence of today's soap fans??? That's another post!

Archived