2014 Winter Olympics Thread

Toups

• Members

I think that this was one of the best opening ceremonies. IMO, Beijing is no. 1, following by Barcelona and Turino. Sochi is in that grouping. They did an amazing job capturing Russia's wonderful literature, architecture, dance, music, and art.

Exactly. It isn't like we showed scalped and murdered Indians or whipped and raped enslaved African Americans or the dogs and fire hoses set on African Americans during Jim Crow and the Civil Rights Movement or the Japanese sent to internment camps during in the opening ceremony in Atlanta. Every country has its own share of shameful and ugly history that it ignores at huge international moments like these. NBC's hypocrisy and jingoism is to much to take at times which is why I watch on mute when they are talking.

I liked when Thomas Bach, the IOC Presidents, lectured the world politicians about scoring their political points off the "backs of the athletes." The Olympics should never be used as a political game. The boycotts in the past were wrong. Also, Obama and the other Europeans should have attended the opening. Those athletes deserved a few minutes of their attention.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:lol: They were swans lmao You're right, they did look beautiful

Love, love, love

The way Lauer was talking, you would expect that this would be the norm lol Like, how DARE they not mention dark spots, how DARE they skim over their bad, bad ways.

• Members

I think that the Norwegian girls did as well as they did was amazing. I don't know if you know, but their team-mate Astrid Uhrenholdt Jacobsen suddenly and tragically lost her brother yesterday. He was also her training partner and a close friend to many of the other skaters. They were told of his death last night, and it must have been so hard for them to focus on the competition. They all wore black ribbons on their dresses and said afterwards that they skated for Astrid and her family.

• Administrator

Gold and Silver for the Dufour-Lapointe sisters in Freestyle Moguls! It would've been perfect if all three sisters got medals, but we'll take gold and silver. And we bronze in snowboard slopes. A very good start for Canada!

That 15 year old Russian figure skating was amazing! I guess they added this team figure skating competition because figure skating draws big numbers.

• Members

I am watching the figure skating live right now (and so is Putin, who is in the Sochi audience). Gracie Gold skated very beautifully, but Yulia Lipnitskaya came on again and skated to the main theme from Schindler's List. Holy cow, her technique. I got chills up and down my spine. She is a phenomena.

• Members

Wow, I just read that the IOC has reprimanded Norway over the black ribbons that the Norwegian skaters wore during the women's skiathlon competition yesterday. They wore it, as I said in an earlier post, in remembrance of team-mate Astrid Jacobsen's brother who died suddenly on Friday and who was a close friend to many of the other skaters.

According to the IOC the competition venues are supposed to be a place of joy, not sorrow.

rolleyes.gif

Archived