Soap Heroes/Heroines who would've made better villains (and vice versa)?

• Members

The first few characters that come to mind for me are people from OLTL:

*I wish Gigi had more of Farah's real-life personality and was more of an unapologetic c*** than the half-hearted way RC wrote her to be some "paragon of morality".

*John McBain would've been fantastic as a criminal mastermind posing as a cop.

Also, people like Y&R's Chelsea would have been better served written like Annie. I think MCE's talents are better served that way.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Gwen Hotchkiss of Passions - as much as I'm sure LH & NZ had fun playing her up as such, I thought that she worked far better as a heroine instead of the tacked-on main "villainess" role that the show forced her into to prop that cow-eyed heifer (who, IMO, was the real villain of the damn show). Making her mother an over-the-top villain (even though 95% of what she said about that cow-eyed heifer was true) / partner in crime wasn't effective, either.

• Members

I always thought that Lily on ATWT would have worked better as a bitch then a heroine. She was kind of spoiled, entitled, and thought she was better then everyone else in her early teen years.

There was this character on GL named Julie who started as a good girl, but in her final year morphed into a vixenish type of character and really took off before leaving the canvas.

• Members

Oh, Emily Quartermaine on GH owns this topic. The show had her as the town saint, but the reality tells a different tale and paints a picture of a character whose selfishness is only matched by Erica Kane. This is the character who was warned not to date Sonny but did anyway, drove him insane due to the very reasons she was warned about, and then left him for his own good supposedly. She also saw that Mary was mentally unhinged and thought Nik was her husband Connor, but for her own selfish reasons she allowed Mary to continue with this delusion--leaving Nik in a state of amnesia and living under a false identity in the process--because it suited her own romantic goals. Mary consequently went from merely having a screw loose to full out criminally insane and Sage Alcazar paid the price for it.

Then she was raped and being the most self absorbed bitch to ever hit PC she basically told Liz that Liz's rape could not compare to her own. Then there was the time she stood over AJ's shattered paralyzed body and gloated and hoped he would die. My memory may not be perfect and someone can correct me if I am wrong, but the only other character to behave this way on a soap was Palmer Cortlandt the ruthless billionaire, when he stood over Adam Chandler's stroke victim body.

She told Edward that if he ever mentioned Sonny tried to kill him she would leave the family forever. Sonny trying to kill him was irrelevant to her. She sided against AJ when he had his son stolen from him. She tried to keep Lucky and Liz apart after her rape because she felt Lucky as a comfort. How this character was ever considered one of the good guys is beyond me.

• Members

Easy. Babe on AMC. She looked like she was going to be the second coming of trashy soap vixen, causing trouble and stirring things up but after a few months, they went in a completely different direction with the character

yeah back when she was a teenager but that changed the minute she got raped. Everytime they try and write her as a bitch, it just ends with disastrous results. That really doesn't suit the character she is today and she's always at her worse when she's in bitch mode. I miss the Liz pre-2006. She was much better than this basic bitch we've had since

Speaking of which, I think GH's Sam fits the bill. KM plays a much better bitch as seen on PC and brief time they turned her into one on this show circa 2007

• Members

The reason writing her as a bitch has failed is because they try to make her a bitch who's also an angel. Liz is a good person but she's not an angel. She is devious and should be allowed to be. Instead they either write her as a saint or toe- the line between the two and make her look stupid.

• Members

I agree with you. Though I was anti-Gwen throughout the show, I agree that after re-watching some stuff, that Theresa was the real party responsible for half the drama during that show.....If it weren't for that damn tabloid stuff, I would've have rooted for Gwen a lot more......I think the show tried to make us forget about that since after Theresa made Gwen fall and lose her baby Sarah they basically wrote Theresa as more of the schemer and Gwen as the innocent one......that temp actress who subbed for LH in 2004 even thought of Theresa as more of a bitch cause that's exactly how she played it.....

on Y&R I think Nikki always plays a fun bitch. I also kind of wish that EB would get over himself and play Victor as more of a "nicer" grandfather patriarch type.....

on B&B I think Taylor makes a better bitch, though she basically played it like that anyway after she returned from the dead back in 2005.....even during the early years I never thought of Brooke as a bitch even with her sleeping around with half the men in L.A....

Archived