Former OLTL Co-Hw sues ABC

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's indeed a very good contract; he made 1.43 million $ pre-tax in those nearly 30 years OLTL stayed on the air...

I wonder if other writers had similar clauses?

After reading the full story I find his lawsuit fascinating and I think he could succeed. The Hulu episodes contained his characters and were no rebroadcasts but new and therefore it does not seem out of hand that a Hulu streaming qualifies as a TV broadcast. BTW, I assume they either don't know it aired on OWN as well or are already certain that these would qualify as repeats not entitling him to anything.

• Members

Damn,I was born at the wrong time! (LOL).

I bet those type of 'in perpetuity' type contracts would not be offered nor accepted in this day and age (if it is, I must look into itlaugh.png )

The main issue, I think is whether the online versions are considered broadcast. If OWN broadcast is the main target in this lawsuit, then wouldn't it be along the lines of a re-transmission fee? It wasn't an original run, or does that not mean anything? If his counsel wins this one, I think the WGA/WGAE needs to get that guy/gal contracted somehow.

• Members

This whole thing will come down to how the law ends up interpreting the word broadcast, because that's what the contract stipulates: that he be paid weekly for as long as the show is broadcast. The contract does not specifically say "broadcast on network television" so it could be interpreted as broadcast at all, anywhere. But it was also drawn up at a time when cable was just becoming a viable platform and was basically an outlet for movies and sports, not reruns of network shows or original series. The current media environment, especially online, was inconceivable by either party at the time it was signed and certainly not what ABC envisioned when they agreed to it. It'll be very interesting to see how the letter of the contract is interpreted if this gets to a judge.

• Members

This is one of those moments you wish you had a time machine, so you could go back and get a rent-controlled place in Manhattan in perpituity, or work a ridiculous contract that ensures you get paid weekly for not working on a show in over 30 damn years.

Archived