James Avery Passes Away

kalbir

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sad to hear about this. I was never a big watcher of the show, because I don't like Will Smith, but when I did watch, Avery was consistently funny, a great slow-burn comic, yet never trying to steal scenes and make it all about him. He will be missed.

• Members

He was such a MVP as Uncle Phil, after Geoffrey the Butler, probably the funniest character on the show.

He also had a small role as a judge on Y&R in recent times, IMO he stole every scene he was in. And his speaking voice!

RIP, Mr. Banks.

• Members

I was very sorry to read about Mr. Avery's passing. 68 still seems too young. I had the pleasure of seeing him onstage in an all-black production of Much Ado About Nothing at the Long Wharf in CT. Geoffrey Owens was also in the cast. I got to say a quick hello/congrats to Mr. Avery during the post-show reception, and to tell him that I fondly remembered his vocal characterization of Shredder on the TMNT cartoon. I hadn't even realized that it was him until Joan Rivers brought it up while interviewing him on her show several years ago.

My heart goes out to his poor wife. I can only imagine how she feels having stepped out for a bit only to have lost him while she was gone. But maybe Mr. Avery wanted it that way. The Fresh Prince cast seemed so genuinely tight and fond of one another which makes this even sadder. I honestly believe that they are one of the few sitcom casts that could have pulled off a scripted reunion and would have had one helluva time rehearsing and taping.

• Members

I'm really hoping a channel that has rights to the show plays a marathon of "Uncle Phil's best moments" or something like that this weekend. It would be the proper thing to do.

I plan on watching some Fresh Prince later. It's on at Midnight (EST) on ABCFamily if anyone else wants to watch.

I wanna see him throw Jazz out of the mansion. :(

Archived