Questions about Unexpected Soap Actor's Deaths and How The Soaps Handeled Them

• Members

Just a couple questions for long time soap fans. Hope this isn't too morbid to ask.

1) Specifically for Days of our Lives - has an actor ever died while on contract (other than Frances Reid)? I feel like I remember reading somewhere of an actress dying in the 70s while on the show. Can someone confirm or deny this and if it's true... how was it incorporated into storyline?

2) And secondly, pretty much the same question for all the other soaps (past and present). What actors have died unexpectedly and how was it handled on-screen. The only ones that really come to mind are Passions' Josh Ryan Evans (which was eerily already "written in" the story) and one of the actors who played Alistair Crane ( which was recasted). I guess I'm kind of excluding actors like Frances Reid, Helen Wagner, etc.. (though maybe somewhat unexpected) were very elderly in age, etc.

Thanks for the responses guys!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sorry for not having an answer but I am applauding you for asking this. It takes guts.

One of my first posts here was about what would happen if Susan Lucci died unexpectedly then what would happen. Everyone then bashed me for being morbid. I think that is when I was dubbed "SONs A1 Crazy".

• Members

1) I believe you're thinking of Brenda Benet, who was playing Lee Dumonde at the time of her death. Originally, Lee had been introduced as a spoiler for Doug / Julie as a part of the Byron Carmichael story, but Lee stuck around a bit. Gary Tomlin and Michelle Poteet Lisanti were the headwriters who integrated her a bit more by giving her a sister, Renee, and a new love interest, Stuart Whyland. Later, it was revealed that Lee's sister Renee was actually her daughter by Stefano Dimera. Benet had a son in real life who died in the early 1980s and Benet took her own life shortly after. The character was sent out of Salem and Marlena, who was friendly with Lee, gave Renee a letter revealing the truth about her paternity.

2) The original Andrew Marriott on "Love of Life" also took his life (Richard Higgs?). The character was recast. I'm sure there are others.

• Members

Ed Zimmerman, who was in his late 30s or early 40s, and was a popular leading man on GL, died unexpectedly in 1972. The role was quickly recast with Anthony Call, who went on to continue in the part for about four more years, until he was killed off.

• Members

Joy Garrett, who played Jo Johnson (mother of Jack, Patch, and Adrienne) fell ill and passed away several months later, in early 1993. She was on contract at this point. Jo was recast and written out later that year.

Macdonald Carey was also on contract when he passed away.

• Members

I remember when Ben Hendrickson killed himself, from As the World Turns. He'd had several issues with depression in his final years on the show and they had Randolph Mantooth fill in, even signing him to contract at one point. At the time I was part of the SON staff and I remember somebody started a post that he had killed himself and I immediately deleted the post because I was sure it was false. I remember telling the other mods and thinking how evil that was for somebody to post that. Unfortunately, we found out it was true and I was so sad because at the time ATWT was my favorite soap and Hal and Barbara were always my favorite couple. When it came to the show writing him off, I believe they had him die in the line of duty and then had a celebration for him at his favorite bar. It was pretty well done IMO.

• Members

I'd blocked that one out. I loved Hal. I wasn't even watching ATWT at that time, I was on a very long break, but when I read the news I cried.

The memorial was decent, other than not having Adam and Nikki there, and having too many jokes about him fathering a lot of kids.

• Members

Ben Hendrickson (Hal, ATWT) committed suicide in July 2006. His last scenes were at his daughter's deathbed, ironically. In October, Hal died in a robbery, having saved someone's life. In a very touching scene, Hal's youngest son Parker received his badge and all the cops at the station saluted him.

ATWT really didn't build any story off it, given the sensitive nature of BH's death. I think it hit the entire staff really hard.

• Members

There were also actors who were older, but were in good health - William Roerick (Henry, GL) killed in a car crash. Kay Campbell (Kate, AMC) run over by a bus, I think (?). I think that's one of the reasons the memorials for them were very emotional.

• Members

I'm not sure if there were plans for more recurring appearances of AMC's Wilma Marlowe (Natalie's mother) at the time of Jo Henderson's death, but she was killed in an automobile accident in 1988. Wilma didn't appear again until 1994 with Dena Dietrich in the role.

• Members

KC fell asleep at the wheel and was hit head on. She didn't die instantly, but days later in hospital. I didn't know that WR was killed in a crash, I just assumed old age. I think I still have Henry's funeral on tape.

• Members

Sorry, I couldn't remember about Kay.

Yes...it was a shock about Roerick, because he still looked fine in his GL appearances; I hadn't really begun to process the idea of Henry leaving. Then the news broke about his car accident.

I forgot to mention Michael David Morrison (Caleb Snyder, ATWT). He'd had a lot of drug problems, so I'm not sure if the show was shocked, but it still must have hurt. When the show found out he died, they brought in Graham Winton, who'd previously temped for him in 1989.

Archived