2013 Awards Thread

Toups

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm so sick of the Leo Oscar meme, and how overrated he is in general, I'm not too sorry he didn't win. I am a little sorry that Matthew won because I read that that film is a huge rewrite of the people involved, and Jared Leto creeps me out to the point where I was all but rooting against the entire film.

Ellen was fun, once she got past that weird, offputing drag queen joke about Liza Minelli which went over like a lead balloon, and the forced attempt at edginess with the racism comment. She was much more at home interacting with people in the audience during all the stuff with the pizza. I enjoyed those moments.

The memoriam tribute was very classy. I had forgotten how many actors had passed on this past year (I thought Esther Williams had gone a few years ago). Bette Midler...she can't really sing that song anymore, so she was trying to act more than sing. I'd give her a B. She did try. I liked that we heard a little of her speaking at the end, right before commercial. The whole thing really seemed to get to her emotionally. I saw EW complaining that Cory Monteith wasn't in the tribute, which makes no sense to me, as he was not a film actor.

At first I wasn't sure about Pink but she gave an emotional and heartfelt rendition of Over the Rainbow.

• Members

LMAO! So tired of hearing about Leo being robbed just because he's Leo. He's lucky to be getting the roles he gets. When Larry Fishburne, Angela Bassett, Naomie Harris and Viola Davis are handed the types of roles he is on a regular basis, then we can talk about Poor Leo!

Yep! Just an overrated film with a bunch of overrated mediocre actors (excluding Renner and perhaps JLaw) who pretty much had Hollywood handed to them. Amy Adams as best anything always cracks me up.

Matthew M? Still a question mark for me. I saw DBC, and it was good, but I'm not seeing Oscar for MM. As for Leto, I would have preferred Fassbender because he was incredible as a mad slave owner. However, Leto was wonderful so there was nothing lost here.

Forgot to add Cate B. For anyone who has not seen Blue Jasmine, it's worth a look just to see how Cate takes the material of a less than mediocre film and elevates it effortlessly. It's so hard to describe because ordinarily I would not care about anyone unraveling once they lose all of the materials things in their life. Cate takes you there.

• Members

IA about Cate Blanchett. There was one scene in Blue Jasmine where her pretentious, wealthy new boyfriend calls her up to make a date, and she's all shrill and happy-happy on the phone with him, then she hangs up and quietly bursts into tears of nervous emotion. It was so unexpected that the person sitting next to me in the movie theatre audibly gasped. A great study of a woman so comfortable with playing a role that she has no clue what to do or who she is when that role/life is wrenched away from her.

American Hustle looks worse and worse every time I see the trailer. I heard Christian Bale was good, though. AMEN Chit on Amy Adams. I never got the hoopla about her, too. Saw her in Sunshine Cleaning and Emily Blunt outacted and outclassed her completely. She was ok in The Fighter but that whole movie had better actors in it.

I can't with the boohooing over Jack Nicholson-wannabe Leo. That butt-floss chaser? He wishes he was as likeable as Ole Jack. The guy was basically playing himself in Wolf of Wall Street -- hardly a stretch.

BTW, this gossip blog I read is always pointing out how Jonah Hill has a mad boy crush on LDC, and it's so true! lol.

Eubyl00.gif

• Members

I didn't watch much of the ceremony but I think most of the awards went to the right people:

- Lupita is a star in the making. She just glows.

- I thought both 12 Years a Slave and Gravity were good films and was glad to see both recognized

- I know the McConaughey win here seems to be controversial, and I was in the Ejiofor camp originally, but then I saw Dallas Buyers Club a couple of weeks ago. While I can't attest to the accuracy of the story or how they may have altered it, MM was terrific. I think he had the benefit of playing a more well rounded and complete character than Ejiofor did and that probably helped propel him. I just think he took a relatively mediocre film IMO and his performance elevated it. Similar to what Cate Blanchett did for Blue Jasmine.

- I have to say I am a Fassbender fan but I wasn't really a fan of his performance in 12YAS. I liked Leto but Adbi in Captain Phillips was really good IMO.

- Yeah the Leo overdue nonsense needs to stop. He gets his pick of what top director he wants to work with, so it's hard to feel sorry for someone who's been handed so many juicy roles.

- Amy Adams hell to the yeah. One of the blandest actresses around. I see no movie star quality or star power with her and I don't get her appeal at all.

That's it from me.

• Members

Does anyone know about the beef between John Ridley and Steven McQueen? They didn't mention each other in their speeches, and then there's this:

https://vine.co/v/MA7p2dXp7qe

I just don't there's anything special about Leonardo Dicraprio. There never was IMO. He was lucky to have cute looks for a few years (which are gone - that he styles his hair like he just got out of 1940 does not help), and is lucky now that there is a huge dearth of capable or talented leading men.

Archived