2013 Awards Thread

Toups

• Members

I don't think her Yale education would be intimidating anymore than Meryl's or Angela Bassett's or anyone else who went there. She's not the only famous person who went to Yale.

I like her well enough and the performance was technically well acted, but I agree with Vixen that there is something just a little offputting about her personality. I can't figure out what it is though but it's there. That bein said, while she wasn't my pick in the category, I'm glad she won. Plus, I feel sort of a connection to her just because my grandfather knows her father back in Kenya so that's kind of fun.

I'm so glad Cate won and gave such a great speech.

Amy Adams and Bill Murray were my favourite presenters.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lupita's dancing with Pharrell seemed like so much fun and a real blast of spontaneity and life. It's a shame Hollywood doesn't make fun movies now that don't involve sleazing, farting, or shooting people in the head. She would be great in something with dance numbers.

• Members

"Arrogance" is the new-school synonym for "uppity" - the go-to term that some use whenever they feel intimidated or chastened by any Black woman (or man) who is proud and accomplished without second-guessing themselves. Since Lupi has been recognized as both by her peers, she's the latest public figure to be hit with that telling slur.

As for her performance, I, too, was heartened by her recognizing and understanding that the role of Patsey was more than Oscar bait. It was a tribute to the enslaved Black women who suffered the same atrocities and I'm certainly glad that she put her heart and soul into making sure that she paid homage to their memory and spirit.

While I was no fan of AH or anyone in it (save for Jeremy Renner, who I thought was the best part of it besides the costume design), I will say that I don't dislike JL at all (she's just OK to me). I just didn't think that what she'd done in that flick was worthy of a nod (let alone a win) and I'm glad that the Academy agrees with me.

wub.png

• Members

Oh get the [!@#$%^&*] out of here with this racist bullshit. How dare you insinuate that anything I said has anything to do with race. In fact, your insinuations are the only racist thing present in this thread. Not everything is about race, which some people don't seem to be able to realize. The word arrogance has nothing to do with "uppity" or with her being black. For example, similar to the way I feel about Lupita, I happen to think Anne Hathaway and Scarlett Johannesen are two of the most arrogant, off-putting people in the industry and they are not of color. Try to put your racist spin on that.

I am not intimidated or chastened by a person of ANY color or background being proud and accomplished. I love and support people of any race and would never put someone down or use a slur of any kind. The only element of racism in here is coming from YOU assuming that just because someone dislikes an actress, they must be racist. Wake up and move into this century.

• Members

How does some calling someone arrogant or uppity (if thats even an insult) somehow now equal being intimidated by them? I saw nothing that insinuated that anyone was threatened by Lupita because she happens to be African or how you jumped to that conclusion because of comments about her personality (which had nothing to do with her race). In fact, I'd think people are more likely to be threatened by the pretty white actresses than they'd ever be by Lupita. Not everything is a race issue

Archived