2013 Awards Thread

Toups

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Especially if its wrapped up in the sweet innocent face of Jennifer Lawrence. Don't get me wrong she's actually one of the best parts of American Hustle but that doesn't mean she deserved to win because of it. Amy Adams was okay but again nothing special.

I just don't see where this "arrogance" claim is coming from. The little interview I saw before she went inside on ABC was her just oozing humility and complete awe at the fact that she was even nominated. Her speech was entirely heartfelt and the way she opened it by acknowledging how much pain and suffering the real Patsy endured resulted in her moment of triumph really touched me deep....I had been thinkin about that for a while but for her to say it just brought it to a whole new level.

• Members

Who complained about Lupita winning? She was one of the ones everyone thought would win.

I would like to see Lupita's career play out before jumping to any conclusions about how great or not so great she is. This was her first major role, so this Oscar can either be a good thing, or a curse (meaning she peaked in her career via her first role). She's a woman of colour over 30, the roles are already limited as it is.

• Members

My reaction to any actor winning for their performance in a Woody Allen movie is always the same: shock, then puzzlement, then, gradually, delight. Because, let's be honest, do his scripts EVER give actors much to work with?

Or Patti Labelle. ;)

It lives.

• Members

You can try to diminish her victory as much as you want but it doesn't change the fact that it was a huge moment for her and people who supported her and were rooting for her. No one (including me) has ever said she's gonna be America's next sweetheart or that she's gonna be cast as the next Bond girl or that she's gonna be cast in 10 movies over the next 3 years.

I simply think she gave a once in a lifetime performance that pretty much stole the movie from Chitwle Ejafor and won an Oscar that everyone but her momma pretty had handed to your Jennifer Lawrence on a silver platter.

JLaw can continue to do Hunger Games and all the other roles in the world if that's what makes her happy. Lupita Nyong can retire tomorrow and still be very happy with her life and I would too just because she won the Academy Award and gave that amazing speech about dreams and what it meant to her to win.

None of what you've said about her dress, her bones, or the probability of her getting future movie roles changes the fact that SHE WON. She was nominated and SHE WON. That in of itself is something that I was not expecting and something I can tell my future beautiful brown daughters actually occurred on this planet and show them the tape. So for that I'll always be grateful....

• Members

I didn't try at all to diminish her victory, and I think you know that. I said right along that she was beautiful and gave a superb performance. I said earlier in the thread I was rooting for her. I do love JLaw but that is irrelevant to this. I simply do not think Lupita is likable. In my opinion, she comes across as a bit full of herself.

And if you're looking forward to celebrating her win to your future children I hope you will just as equally celebrate Mo'nique and Octavia Spencer's wins as well.

• Members

That's pretty much Woody's directing style in a nutshell. He's notorious for giving little direction and having his actors make everything up as they go along. Fortunately, Cate is a skilled theatrical actress so she could deal with him, but a lot of others are not so fortunate.

• Members

Sorry but I love American Hustle. Still wish it had won. So I was rooting for Jennifer Lawrence, Sandra Bullock, and Cate Blanchett all at once. I'm glad Cate won. An actress like her is more than capable of actually making Woody Allen's crap work and spin it into gold.

Ellen DeGeneres needs to go away.

• Members

I love Oprah but I doubt she's really crying for missing out on an Oscar nomination considering she was recently awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom. But one woman of color who was overshadowed IMO was Naomie Harris, who was I thought wonderful in Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom. But lets be honest, the Oscars are just a Hollywood popularity contest. I can't imagine why Lawrence would have been nominated if it wasn't. She may have outperformed everyone in American Hustle(a fun film but hardly award worthy), but she was sorely miscast.

• Members

Not really an Oprah fan, but The Butler was the first time I have ever seen her as an actress. She was outstanding, IMHO! I think she should have been nominated.

As for Lupita, her speech brings me to tears. People see different things in others sometimes, but I honestly don't see a disingenuous bone is that young woman's body. She is loving this moment and going to live it to the fullest. To some, her Yale education might be a bit intimidating (not you, Vix), and I don't understand why. It just adds to the intrigue of Lupita. Roles she should be getting she won't, but Lupita can cash in on this celebrity right now, and of course, designers have to be beating down her door! On Ellen yesterday, she practically danced her way to the chair. She's overjoyed and not ashamed to show it. Good for her. Lupita's interview with Letterman a few weeks ago was equally charming. It's really easy to like this young woman, and I do!

I'm just going to dreading the comment "she speaks so well". Puke!

• Members

I do hope we see her do great things - she definitely has the talent. I haven't seen her much in a talk show setting so maybe I'm missing out. I just fear she will end up like Jennifer Hudson - earning raves for her film debut and never quite being able to live up to it afterwards.

Archived