Francis Ford Coppola on the set of Y&R

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hate it that not even someone like Francis Ford Coppola can't make the press stop bashing soaps. That article is just rubbing salt in the wound. I just wish that someday people will cut the shows some slack!!

That said, it is kinda random FFC is on the set of Y&R. It makes you wonder why?? It would be remarkable if he is trying to create a soap. As far as we know he is trying to bring back As the World Turns and Guiding Light...

• Members

Didn't the article suggest that he was learning about the use of the multi-camera and live TV?

If this is the case, perhaps not many of today's current TV shows use this technique, I think most TV shows now use a single camera technique which is the same way that films and movies are shot.

When I think of the use of multi-camera technique, I think of classic TV shows like I Love Lucy and most sitcoms up until the mid-late 90s. I think that technique is sort of like a dying breed.

So I'd actually believe that as a filmmaker, FFC may not have ever had need to use a multi-camera technique.

Still, I'm intrigued by his desire to hear more about this and whether this is actually the case. FFC has put out some interesting films in the past few years. Fairly experimental. I saw Youth Without Youth a few years ago (which got panned, I think).

But 10-1, if he's learning this technique which is sometimes considered 'retro' among film/TV industry, it will probably be for an experimental film project.

• Members

I have heard rumors about FFC trying to get into business of creating a new soap or drama using the multi-camera setup.

He mainly does dramas so this could bring to light the rumor of potentially FFC producing a new soap or bringing ATWT or GL or maybe its a different project not soap-related.

Either way it goes I can't wait to find out what this project is.

• Members

Francis has always been fascinated by different types of media - he was locked away in his "Silverfish" trailer making the doomed opus One from the Heart while experimenting with early video formats. He spent the last couple years tinkering with Twixt, his strange avant-garde vampire film, touring several festivals and screenings and re-editing the film live with various video/audio selections on his iPad based on audience feedback during the screenings. I tried to go to one of those but could never find it.

Whatever he's up to, knowing Francis it either may never materialize or may be truly bizarre, but I always appreciate him and his interest.

Archived