AMC: The Prospect Park Era (old production thread)

• Members

I feel like its definitely largely "syndication prep" related or whatever - but I also think maybe they (stupidly) thought this was a good opportunity to make nice with the anti-cursing contingent on FB and why not make a heroic "we listened to you" announcement. How little they know about soap fans. Give us a mole hill- it will be a mountain in an hour.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

+1

I do think they did a little more cussing at first because they could and the best thing to do would have been to take the swearing down to the "when it really fits" category(like when Bianca said bullsh*t to JR). I do worry some about content in the wake of caving here(if it's NOT about syndication) but as long as they don't go back to network control type behavior I don't see any huge problems. Just please, PP, DON'T listen to just the prudes and the "have the show just like it was on ABC" crowd.

• Members

I agree with what some are saying.

It would be silly to put the swear words into the dialogue for the sole reason of "pushing the envelope" or being "shocking". Like the writers thinking: "Let's let Dr. Joe tell Ruth he wants to f-ck her! That would really raise eyebrows!" But to totally eliminate them I think is stupid. I think it would have made total sense, let's say, if Angie came face-to-face with Cassandra's sex traffickers, "I'm gonna kill you motherf-cking bastards for what you did to my daughter!!!!!!!" What is she gonna say now? "You terrible men! How could you do this to my daughter?!?!?!" rolleyes.gif Uh-huh. Let's get REAL here.

• Members

The only words that they used that I haven't heard on basic cable shows were "frak" and "shite" (the real ones) and I've even heard "S" used on USA shows a couple of times. Everything else in that video I've heard on network ten o'clock dramas. There was no reason to cut ALL the language. That's just overreacting and I think they'll regret it when somebody on the shows say "damn" or "hell" and a bunch of pearl clutchers get on Facebook screaming "I thought you said that there would be no more swearing?!! My preshus baybeez are damaged for liiiiife!!"

• Members

I'm getting a little roller coaster nausea myself. The long ride to nowhere.

I still don't get this anticipation of syndication (unless there is already a deal in place and we don't know). One should write for content and story, not in anticipation down the road.

Sex and the City used to come on nightly on local TV for years and it didn't seem to have a problem because it was a wildly popular show that won Emmys when it was on HBO.

Anyway, they're the TV folks, not me.

If they're going to tighten up and sharpen up the scripts, the dialogue, continuity, everything then I'm all for it.

If they're using the thought of syndication as a smokescreen and an excuse to bow to perceived pressure from some vocal individuals, then I'm dubious.

In any case, I wish the show well.

• Members

I feel like tweeting PP with my favorite "Cuss clips." laugh.png For me they're when...

• Zach told Jesse about the Koslovs and Jesse said, "What the f-uck are you talking about?" I've directed that question towards Zach more times than I can count.
  • AJ got into a fight with Hunter and screamed "You p-ussy!" I wouldn't have used that particular word in that situation but I loved the delivery.
  • David bumped into Pete at Jane's and said, "It's a lovely day, isn't it?" and Pete replied with, "You're an !@#$%^&*]."

And Vee I agree with you that the R-rated clips should be made available to those of us who can handle it. Be it on Hulu, iTunes, YouTube or TOLN.com.

• Members

If that were the case, DC and Giddens would never have reported otherwise. They and most of the rest of that press organ have the half-life of a gnat when it comes to these shows daring to be anything other than within their strict parameters.

Archived