AMC: The Prospect Park Era (old production thread)

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Unless the same people who are offended by the language are also offended by an IR relationship. Remember the crazy that got unleashed on that Cheerios ad?

Just to be clear, I'm not concerned with Angie and David. That would make people crazy for nothing more than fanbase reasons. I'm concerned about PP knuckling under to prudishness and warped nostalgia. What happens when the same people who couldn't let their kids watch because of the language turn around and can't let their kids watch two men or women kissing? These people keep saying they want the show to be the way it was. The way it was had Tad burying a man alive, Zach shooting a man in the head for his heart, Marty Saybrooke begging her rapist to [!@#$%^&*] her and Mitch Laurence trying to screw his daughter. Were their kids watching that?

• Members

I think breaking the profanity ceiling on what traditionally have been daytime soaps is a far bigger adjustment for a lot of people than most of the typical stuff - sex, violence, etc. That's a double standard and I don't agree with it, but it's also the nature of an audience which has been watching network television, whether it's daytime or primetime.

Pulling back on profanity is one thing, but in terms of what the rest of network TV can get away with at night, the rest is another story. I'm not particularly worried about the rest of the content at the moment. I also know that they would've had to make concessions for profanity for virtually any TV deal in the possible future.

That being said, I am tired of the stream of reactive moves. It is the nature of a start-up for these things to happen, but with every one of them I get another round of the same broke-ass oracles of the Internet trying to tell AMC and OLTL they need to be more like "DeVanity" or God knows what else. Those web shows are the dumbest, brokest-looking [!@#$%^&*] I've ever seen - I don't care how hard they try or how nice their staff is or how friendly they are to people, that crap is terrible and looks and sounds it every single time. Get serious about what is actually broadcast-ready, because that [!@#$%^&*] is a nice little project but it is not going to work.

• Members

On a related note, that TOLN video of all the swearing - including some of the cut F-bombs - is a real tragedy to lose. I'm going to miss a lot of that stuff. I still say keep the uncensored stuff online if there's ever a TV deal. No one curses like Florencia Lozano.

• Members

If they really can get the shows on TV, that's fantastic.

Then bring back the cursing - and the F-bombs - on the Hulu version. I can't not have Florencia cussing in my life.

ETA: Giddens actually calls it "syndication prep"

• Members

I know syndicated scripted shows kinda died--but I could see these actually do well in syndication--show them late in the evening, or whatever (I know it's too much to hope that people would place it at the 7pm slot instead of Wheel and Jeopardy or ET but...) Though the episodes a week issue may play a part.

Archived