AMC: The Prospect Park Era (old production thread)

• Members

How would Brooke/Adam/Dimitri be a turn off for that Demo? Most ages in that demo (Specificly 30-49) started watching (or watched) when those characters were front and center! Also, most people between ages 25 and 49 who have never watched would probobley like stores centered around older people as opposed to highschoolers. Also, haveing more vets will help balance out the younger people.

I think people are reading too much into this "18-49" thing.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It is a industry thing with advertisers who finance shows and keep them on the air. Going younger, getting the younger viewers. The entertainment industry is targeting the 18-49 age demographics for viewership simply for the funding that comes from advertisers and others. The Over 50 actors on the show have aged out as far as the key demo that PP has made clear they are moving for the key demo which is 18-49. It just is what it is in today's market.

• Members

It is a industry thing with advertisers who finance shows and keep them on the air. Going younger, getting the younger viewers. The entertainment industry is targeting the 18-49 age demographics for viewership simply for the funding that comes from advertisers and others. The Over 50 actors on the show have aged out as far as the key demo that PP has made clear they are moving for the key demo which is 18-49. It just is what it is in today's market.

Nostalgia returns (bringing back of past characters) can affect the forward progressive story telling. But, maintaining the core is critical for viewership and for stability of a show too. and all fans are insular in ways because they have their favorite shows/characters and will FF other characters they are simply not interested in. It is just a issue of choice and preference.

• Members

I have been married for 40 plus years (40th on March 30 this year) and so unconditional love and forgiveness is always doable. True Soulmates and SuperCouples can survive all obstacles and overcome all things in life. Loving couples stay in sync with each other. They don't give up and throw in the towel, even with the testings and trials of life. It is called the vows taken. BTW me and mine, going strong and doing just fine, thank you very much.

• Members

I've never understood why 18-49 is lumped together. The range is so massive.

Anyway, those characters are not a turn-off to me and I'm on the younger end of the range. I think people of any age get pulled in by good compelling story- I don't care if the characters are in their 60s or teens- even better if there are multiple generations involved. I got hooked on soaps when I was 6 and Todd was on the run and terrorizing blind Nora on OLTL- it was a good exciting story (albeit somewhat inappropriate for kindergarten but I was riveted). I certainly don't buy into the idea that the fact that there aren't really any characters in their 30s means that 30somethings will automatically tune out, especially if they have any history whatsoever with the show.

• Members

What about when the shows were on Network TV? Whenever they brought fan favorites the ratings did go up yet they started teh 18-49 crap!! Besides if what you are telling us about PP is true why are they bringing in these characters??

• Members

I am also on the lower end. I got hooked/interested because of Jesse and Angie!! Up until now the younger people never interested me. Now that they have believable teenagers I am now invested in the younger set. That said, I am still interested in the vets.

Archived