AMC: The Prospect Park Era (old production thread)

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Been there done that. Just marry them and then he can be recurring. Brooke doesn't need another romance - esp with Erica's leftovers which I've never found amusing - to have story. Why not do this with Opal or Dixie? Tad's been away - doesn't she need a new romance.

My couple have NEVER had a big, LEGAL wedding. They've had it with others they didn't love. Multiple times with same person on Adam's part. Is is too much to ask to finally have my couple and their fanbase treated with respect and be given some payoff? After 24 yrs of bs hackery?

• Members

Adam/DC or no Adam/DC, Brooke's entire purpose on AMC 2.0 (as presently constituted) is as the Chandler gatekeeper and the de facto Chandler matriarch. Dimitri's entire purpose on AMC 2.0 (as presently constituted) is as a Chandler employee and Brooke's talk-to about JR and all things Chandler. Pairing Brooke/Dimitri would effectively eliminate her ties to Adam and the Chandlers and would leave the two of them with very little purpose to serve on the show (as presently constituted).

They have no children on the show. They have no relatives on the show. The Chandler kids wouldn't want to be mothered by Brooke. Zach is Bianca's male talk-to as far as Miranda is concerned and Bianca hasn't seen or heard from Dimitri in years. They wouldn't be able to fight JR/Colby for control of the company because Adam would revoke the PoA and Brooke has no legal claim to the company or Adam's money because they're not married.

JMO, though.

• Members

1. Adam IS one of Erica's leftovers. He married Erica first, he was obsessed with her, AND because their divorce was never legal, his marriage to Brooke wasn't valid either. If you really wanted Brooke with someone who had never slept with Erica, then be bitter that she didn't marry Edmund. THAT was a wasted opportunity right there.

2. I am so sick of the whole "I've waited X years for this to happen. I deserve this" attitude from fans. I've seen it from fandom after fandom, and it drives me insane. You don't deserve anything. You aren't entitled to anything. Your wants are no more valid or important than any other viewer's. But while we're on the subject, Brooke and Adam have been on-again/off-again since the late 80s. They've had far more time together than a lot of soap couples out there. Get over it.

3. The entire 'supercouple' thing makes me want to gag. Do you know what happens when you have a real supercouple (and for the record, I don't think Brooke and Adam are one, despite your insistence)? The fans bitch and moan and whine and complain and write letters and call and email and say they'll refuse to watch unless X & Y stay together, and it ends up killing most storyline options because the audience gets bored watching their once favorite couple living a normal married life. Then after a while, they end up being a ridiculous caricature of a relationship where all they do it get together and break up again (Tad & Dixie, Erica and Jack, Ryan and Greenlee, and prior to this reboot, I would have said Kendall and Zach), and the end result is that two once good characters are now a hot mess.

• Members

BUT if Brooke has some feelings for Dimitri and is also dealing with some issues with Adam (and I think she is because after five years they still aren't married, and now he's leaving her to deal with JR while he travels), then you've set up a wonderfully soapy mess in which JR can find out about Dimitri's feelings for Brooke and any indiscreet 'whatever it is' that is going on between them and use it to try to drive a wedge between Brooke and Adam and force Brooke out of Chandler.

Now, whether TPTB would set that up and go that direction when they've also got Pete and David in business together, rebuilding Cortlandt... I don't know. I guess we'll see.

• Members

I have no issue with shippers, so if someone watches AMC that way it is their choice not mine. That being said I would be annoyed if Brooke and Adam break up off screen, as I feel that it would be a cheat if she ended up with someone else and there was no story.

• Members

FWIW, I think that is where they are going, that JR will use this to get Adam to revoke the PoA and force Brooke out of Chandler/shake Adam's faith in her enough to get control. But what then?

For the Chandlers it will be war with the Cortlandt/David, but for Brooke (and Dimitri)? Just what purpose does she serve (on this show, the way it is presently constituted) if Adam is permanently out of her life and replaced with Dimitri? Now, I'm not knocking JB/Brooke (or MN), I'm just pointing out that a real pairing with Dimitri eliminates all her ties on canvas, which in turn eliminates the need for her (and Dimitri) on the show. I mean, MN is ok and Dimitri is ok, but I don't think viewers will be so blown away by his and JB's chemistry ( which wasn't that great if I recall), that they'll demand they stay on canvas after the story plays out/if it plays out with Brooke choosing him.

The idea of Brooke/Dimitri works for this story and to facilitate this plot (ie giving JR/Colby control of Chandler), but beyond that I see nothing.

Chandler Cortlandt has to happen -

• Members

I'm not convinced that Brooke/Dimitri IS going to happen. I think it may be hinted at, and it may be a factor in the whole Chandler Enterprises plot, but I don't think Brooke is going to leave Adam for Dimitri. At least, I haven't seen anything yet to make me believe that.

If Dimitri is Celia's guardian, then he has a tie to Celia and Evelyn. I'd like to see him interact with Bianca and Miranda. Bianca had such a great father/daughter bond with Dimitri, and I'd like to see that revived, especially since Jack isn't around. If Erica comes back, even temporarily, then she can be part of Dimitri's orbit.

And honestly, IDK why someone has to have a connection to be on the show. Dimitri had no family and nothing to tie him to the canvas beyond finding Natalie in a well, and he ended up being on the show for a decade. When David Hayward was introduced to AMC, his sole connection to the show was that he dated Allie Doyle in med school and wanted her back. We ended up getting his mother, brothers and cousins on the show, and he's considered a core character. Not everyone has to have family to stick around.

• Members

I don't think Brooke/Dimitri will happen either - it is a plot device...

I also think being tied to Celia is no great shakes - hopefully the show will 86 the character (because she has no ties that have been revealed yet) when production resumes.

My point about having ties is all to do with how the show functions now - smaller cast, shorter show and less room for characters (out of the target demo age range) who are not part of a story/comic relief (ie BCT) and/or who do not have a valid tie to one of the younger characters - who the show is now revolving around.

JMO, though

Archived