Unsung

Eric83

• Members

Did anyone else watch the Montell Jordan episode that aired last night? It was a very interesting profile, especially considering his marriage. It's a miracle that they are still together after all they went through. Also, he tells a story about how he was booked at a college to perform in 2010 (???) and in a 3,500 seat venue, only SEVEN people showed up. Now if that isn't a crusher, I don't know what is. OUCH!!

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I can't quite bring myself to call Montell Jordan "Unsung" (he had a decent run, but I'd hardly say that he offered anything different than what was out at the time), but I am looking forward to seeing the Martha Wash episode.

(It'd make my dream come true as a NYC 80s baby if they dedicated an episode to the house music scene of the 80s & 90s - especially since so many of the pioneers like David Cole, Frankie Knuckles, Crystal Waters, Larry Levan, etc. are the very definition of "Unsung".)

• Members

Tonight's episode was sad. I loved Hi-Five but I hate how like many other R&B groups in the late 80s and 90s, they were taken advantage of by record companies. Especially when R&B music was the genre that ruled the 90s. Anyone living around that time can attest that's true. Pop was practically dead. Rock was on life-support somewhat. Hip hop was becoming larger but R&B was where it was at. I also didn't realize they had so many members too. I guess because I was a child, I didn't notice it. I wish Tony Thompson was still alive because his voice was treasure--one of the voices that I remember most from the 90s alongside R. Kelly, Wanya Morris, Ralphael Saadiq, Keith Sweat, Tevin Campbell....

• 2 weeks later...