Unsung

Eric83

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Hard to believe the summer season is already winding down. Then, I suppose, it will be time for the second season of Unsung: Hollywood. Anyway, here are the three remaining episodes on the schedule:

9/17: The Chi-Lites

9/24: Peaches & Herb

10/1: Rick James (I don't see how he qualifies as "unsung", but whatever.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The Chi-Lites episode is probably my favorite of the season so far. God bless Marshall Thompson, still leading the group since its inception in the late 1950s, and still smiling despite the fact that after a 1997 concert at the World Trade Center (if that isn't chilling enough), the group was on its way home when the vehicle they were in flipped over on the interstate. One of the group members was ejected from the car but recovered from his injuries - but the other passenger ejected was mortally wounded. She was Marshall Thompson's wife. He is happily remarried now - but wow.

Fellow founding member and the group's primary songwriter, the late Eugene Record, penned "Have You Seen Her?" about his dissolving marriage to his first wife. He wrote "Oh Girl" to the woman who would become his second wife (and remained so until he passed in 2005).

• Members

I know that some members were ambivalent about "Oh Girl" because they thought it was too much aligned to a pop music sound but I find it to be a truly sweet song.

My one gripe with Unsung in general is that this season, in particular, there seem to be more than one interview with women with lipstick on their teeth. I know I'm being nitpicky but I wish they would've re-cut those scenes and let those women know that they had lipstick on their teeth right away so they could re-shoot. I know the budget is small but for me, this is distracting.

• Members

Oh, yes, even the Troop episode, one poor lady had lipstick on her teeth and I just wanted to tell her.unsure.png

I watch on my laptop but I have a pretty large screen (almost 19 inches) and it shows HD quality, so I am up close to see all the details.

Be glad you can't see to notice it. For some reason, almost every episode this season has had at least one lady with lipstick on her teeth and I seem to notice it now, each and every time. I wish I didn't though.

• Members

That cracks me up, how mortifying. You'd think most people would check their compacts when being interviewed on camera.

I doubt they'd cover anything I haven't already heard, but Jennifer Holliday is coming to town which has me thinking about her for this show again. Perfect. And I'd be really curious to hear her friends and colleagues chime in because we mostly hear her story only from her point of view.

• Members

Unfortunately, with no warning from TV One, they cut the season short, ending it with the episode about the Chi-Lites. When/if the Peaches & Herb and Rick James episodes will air, I have no idea. I had to look up on the TV One website (which is not exactly user-friendly, IMO) and "Unsung"'s FB page to confirm this.

• Members

TV One's website is an absolute mess, I've read people complain that things are hard to find but I dont know when or if they will ever sort it out.

I was wondering why that episode of the Chi-Lites was still up there as the latest episode. After checking again today, and seeing not even so much as a preview of a new episode, I'd guessed that they weren't airing any new episodes. What a strange, abrupt end to the season of Unsung!

...and no explanations from them? I wonder what that's about.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Honestly, I'd much rather get another genre-based episode, this time on the funk music that shaped late 70s-early 80s Black music--especially since Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars have capitalized on that sound to garner a current #1 hit on the Hot 100 Billboard chart. Far too many talents were paid dust by mainstream radio because of that Klan "Disco Sucks"-based movement (i.e.: Slave, The Gap Band, D-Train, etc.) because they refused to water down their sound like The Commodores did (no shade to them) and now would be the perfect time to pay homage to them.

Edited by VirginiaHamilton